". Arranged Words: River Run

19 Nov 2013

River Run

The weather was beautiful while I was in Nova Scotia, so that made it easy to revisit a few of my old haunts.

 When I was a child, I spent a lot of time on the river exploring, swimming, and making great discoveries, including finding in the shallows hundreds of baby eels, which I used to sift through my fingers. (Tomboy? I reckon.) Back then I wanted to know everything about the eels. I've had to wait a long time for information, but, in case you are interested, here are a few facts that have recently come to light.

 ~  Different from salmon, adult eels migrate from the rivers in N.A. and Europe to the Sargasso Sea south of Bermuda to spawn.  A few years later, the offspring return to the estuaries to acclimatize before they swim up the rivers. Sometimes they will even travel overland to the lakes where they will stay until something tells them it's time to return to the spawning grounds--that may take ten or twenty years.

Unfortunately, the baby eels, that piqued my curiosity so long ago, are now commercially fished.

 High tide has pushed into the estuary.

Another river in the same county. I spent a few glorious summers on a farm in this area, and it is still my favourite place. To the right, if I remember correctly, a fine place for a swim

Fresh air filled with the scent of the pines.

Cranberries... hmmm...maybe.
A hint of the miraculous? Sand in the woods.


3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love your photos, especially those of the river. You grew up with so much natural beauty around you!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Carolyn.

I am so pleased that I was able to grow up there with the freedom to explore.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky to go with Dixie on her vacation , very beautiful