". Arranged Words: Book Picks of 2014

5 Jan 2015

Book Picks of 2014

A New Year. Thank heavens! Although last year was not without good times and deep wells of gratitude, I am happy to begin the new year.

 I didn't keep a full record of the books I read in 2014, but I do have the Kindle list.

While well written, I found a couple of books I read extremely violent. (I'll confess to the unknown, until recently, phenomenon of skipping a few pages.)  However, those works of fiction did deal with historical fact. Another thing I noticed: mistakes in books. The short shrift. What a shame. Imagine having a book published only to find it riddled with errors!

Last year I used my Kindle a lot. Why? Well, it's not because I prefer that medium. It's because around here books have reached critical mass. (Did I say that?)

What's so great about a tangible book? Well, they never run out of steam.  Also, I enjoy the ease of flipping back when prompted by curiosity.  Thoughts like what was that great line? Or, I'd like to read that part again.


Kindle, other gizmos, or the real deal...which do you prefer?

I've picked 4 books for 2014. Two beautifully written re-reads that I own (to have and to hold) and two books that I borrowed from the library.  Generally, I make a few comments, without, I hope, giving away the crux of the story, but in the interest of brevity I've decided it's show time. 







Have a great week!
 Contemplating adding this book my critical mass.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few great titles to check out. Thank you.
Hands down. I'll take a real live book any day.
Sue

Penny said...

You will love Gifts From The Sea, but I think we talked about it already.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

As a matter of fact, I read it on your recommendation, Penny. Now I want to buy the book as you said I likely would. Even though it is 50 years old there is so much relevancy inside its covers. Besides that, it also sent me on a hunt for information about the nautilus. I still have one on the drawing board.
Thanks again!

Penny said...

Oh good! I knew you would identify with the author. Inspirational and so practical. Just spent 2.99 on Amazon for "The Boys in the Boat". Was waiting too long to borrow at the library. I heard it's pretty good. I'll have to check out the books you posted. Thanks for sharing.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I haven't heard about "The Boys in the Boat." The price is definitely right!
I've just remembered that the Stone Mattress was peppered with expletives, ( unnecessarily so ) but I did enjoy the story named "The Stone Mattress."