". Arranged Words: Seascape/Starlight Converging (Blue Star) Swap

15 Jun 2015

Seascape/Starlight Converging (Blue Star) Swap

It was so much fun to create a seascape painting for a recent swap. Soma, my lovely new friend and swapping partner, requested something from the sea because she knows I love it. 

As an east coast maritimer, my mind immediately jumped to lobster traps, rocky sea bottoms, wharfs, seaweed, crabs, jelly fish, etc. However, almost before I knew it, I was off on a Google search of the tropical seas.  And let me tell you, you can lose yourself for hours looking at all the fascination creatures: tropical fish, anemones, corals -- so many types, including my depiction of brain coral on the right. ( I love the texture.)  And, of course, I had to add coral that looks like fingers and toes, and also a wee bit of red coral that obviously blew into the scene because of a  recent storm. And who knew about sea feathers? (Absent)

Watercolour/ Ink ~ 7 x 10 on an Archers watercolour block.
The painting curled a bit, but will frame easily. (A water wash on the back and a tape down for a few days would flatten it as well.) I enjoyed painting this seascape so much that I'd like to paint a much larger one ~ perhaps this winter.

***

Awhile ago, I wrote to Soma and ask her about her cross body coffee bag and she wrote back and suggested a swap. I immediately agreed! Although I could have chosen any one of her wonderful quilting designs, I decided to leave the choice to Soma because that way we would both be surprised.  And, I'm so glad that I did!
Along with designing beautiful quilt patterns, Soma has many other talents and interests; she blogs beautifully at Whims and Fancies.


My wonderful Blue Star cross body bag.  It's fully lined with an inside pocket and a side, or back pocket that holds my large ipad/ keyboard arrangement. 
And a bonus pencil case that I've been using for a light run about appointment purse. I love the starfish on the cross body bag and the wee seahorse embellishment on this case.

It's been a bit hectic here lately, so I'm a little behind on my blog visits. I am looking forward to seeing what you all have been up to!

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy the week!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Your painting is lovely - so soothing. Sweet little charms on those bags too.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Lorraine. It was such a fun project. Lot of choices ~ colourwise etc.
And I enjoyed the swap so much...

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Thanks for being my friend, Dixie! The painting really is incredible!! You made me laugh with the "coral that looks like fingers and toes" and the bit about the red coral. I am glad you added them :)

-Soma