". Arranged Words: A Directional Challenge

8 Dec 2015

A Directional Challenge

 Top of the day to you!

For many years now, I've bought Amaryllis to brighten up the season. However, this year things got away from me and the eager bulb started to grow in the box. There was no need to soak the roots first, but I decided to be gentle with it, so I gave it a soaking before I planted it. After of few days of chasing sunbeams around the room, it straightened up--bloomed and there's more blooms to come



.

 My Christmas cactus. A changeling that often looks apricot.
Since Amaryllis need staking, I went to the woods to procure a piece of red alder. There's no snow yet which is unusual, but not unheard of, and the temperatures sometimes climb into the low teens, so it was a great time to go.
With full bird feeders along the trail, the 'wee' chickadees and nuthatches swoop down in front of you for a snack. Unfortunately, I left my camera at home, but who can forget the sweetness of a chickadee. They do make me smile.


My drawing is not quite finished.  But because the excess graphite has worked it's way into the paper, I've decided to move on. I am not sure how that happened. I did have a clean piece of paper under my hand.

Thanks for reading along...

 'Til next time...Best Wishes!

5 comments:

Barbara Lilian in France said...

Hello Dixie, you were lucky to get your amaryllis to straighten up and bloom so pretty, good title for your post, Not easy, once the stem has has grown ,

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your amaryllis is pretty and how neat that it straightened up and proceeded to do what it's supposed to.

I love your little bird drawings.

Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Dixie: I've never seen Amaryllis planted in water, or is that just what you did at first before planting it in soil? I bought a beautiful white Amaryllis 'Maria Gottei'. Stunning. Just one bloom left now out of eight. I hope your Christmas is merry and that 2016 is good to you. Love, Joannie

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Joanie,
I usually soak the roots over night before planting; it gives them a start; however since this one was already growing, I soaked the roots for about 10 minutes to make them pliable so the plant can easily take up the water it requires.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas. Every blessing for 2016!
Hugs.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Ah, Amaryllis! So beautiful! The colour of Christmas cactus is so rich and saturated. Looking at them must make you really happy. You didn't really need a camera, Dixie, I think you captured the essence of the sweet birds in your drawing wonderfully :)

-Soma