". Arranged Words: Favourite Things

13 Jan 2016

Favourite Things

 
So far the winter has been mild and with the light increasing each day my thoughts, as they usually do this time of year, turn to flowers, seeds and all that grows and, of course, all that chirps too.
In the city last week, I noticed some tulips and I couldn't resist buying them. Besides, they make great reference material for drawing.

 O, yes, and a few pink carnations.  I tend to overlook these beauties, however, they are pretty and they last a long time.

I've been drawing Amaryllis flowers and using dividers to measure them.  To me, they are even larger than they look!

A Jacamar
He probably looks familiar because last time you saw his head, but the second time around I've changed things a little.
Jarcmars live in South and Central America. Sometimes, if the mood strikes, they will  fly up to Mexico. 
The birdie in the photo is not quite as colourful as it really is. 

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy the week! 


7 comments:

Kim said...

It is always lovely to think upon flowers. That Amaryllis is a beauty isn't it. Love the little birdie and the flowers he is sitting upon is pretty. I wouldn't have been able to resist those purple Tulips either. Surely a sign Spring is on it's way.

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures and drawings. Where I shop for produce they had some lovely tulips, still not blown. But I make myself stay with one large vase of flowers and I have some white carnations, mums, snapdragons with a broken branch of a gorgeous red Poinsettia from my friend's plant. Next time! Love, Joannie

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I was hoping to get a Amaryllis plant and then I found out I can't have one because of my kitties. So I will vicariously have one through you. Your Amaryllis looks stunning. Nature provides us with such beautiful reference material for drawings, right?!! I think the flower and the Jacamar in your painting are admiring each other.

-Soma

September Violets said...

Some lovely flowers to have indoors. Your amaryllis is gorgeous and the same colour as one I have ... which I neglected and it has no blooms this winter :( Your painting is really nice.
Wendy

Kaja said...

Beautiful tulips! They are my favourites anyway but the deep purple colour is gorgeous.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

It is always a pleasure to revisit your posts. Such gorgeous colours. Thank you so much for linking up, Dixie :)

-Soma

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love the color of those tulips! So wonderful next to the fern.