". Arranged Words: Out and About

14 Apr 2015

Out and About


One of those divine days that I've been dreaming about all winter long finally arrived. And lovely it was. Temps 24C or 75.2 degrees F. with a warm breeze blowing from the south. So it was definitely time to throw off the winter woolies and head to the woods.

Eye of the Birch
Beautiful colour.

The plant life is just waking up so there's not much on the grow, but my son and I did meet and visit with a few hungry friends.

Mr. Chips the Chipmunk.

Yes please. I'm immensely fond of peanuts.
Peanuts? Shucks. I'd prefer a serving of sunflower seeds, please.

Er...maybe...just one, said the wee chickadee.

 * * *

On the needles ...

Increasing 7 stitches from 1 caused my frogging party :/ ( For non-knitters that means to rip it out.) Since a few of the holes were too large, I couldn't continue because I knew that the holes would never even out during blocking. The good news: I didn't have a life life but know where to begin again. Yes!


* * *
Painting... feathered friends...

One of my favourite birds: the marsh wren. They flit around in the marsh grasses and fly so fast that it is hard to catch more than a glimpse of one, so I decided to draw a couple.



Thanks for reading...Enjoy the week!































14 comments:

Kim said...

Lovely photos, Dixie. So Spring has finally decided to stay a while, how lovely for you. My goodness the bird sitting on the finger is friendly. Love your painting of the Marsh Wren. You are very clever, it is so life-like. Love the colour of the wool. It is annoying when one has to unravel what one has knitted. I seem to unravel more than knit these days!

Carolyn said...

I so love the spring! Thanks for sharing such lovely photos!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

You draw so beautifully, Dixie! The bird looks gorgeous. I am sorry you had to frog your knitting, hopefully that's the last time you have to do it. Enjoy the outdoors :)

-Soma

Penny said...

The wrens are quite good, Dixie. Impressive. Aren't chickadees the dearest little birds? We've been successful at hand-feeding the Chestnuts, but Black Caps won't come near us. You seem to have a knack. Thank you for sharing.

Renee said...

Your photos are wonderful and your painting is fabulous! Lovely work.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

O, me too! Spring is such a lovely time of year.
Enjoy

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Penny,
Thank you and you are welcome, too!
I agree. Chickadees are so sweet. They exude happiness and they always make me smile.
We just stand still in the woods with a hand open and sometimes they will fly out of nowhere for food at this time of year. They are amusing and will give you the eye before they have a bite to eat.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

In case anyone is wondering, I've answered some of these comments via email using the reply option if that option has set by the visitor.
Have a lovely weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures Dixie...it seems the knitting has changed your hands a bit ;)-Debits

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Deb,
I hope you enjoyed the southern climes!
Yes, all that knitting has built up the muscles for photography. :^) Thank you.
xo

Penny said...

You inspired me, Dixie. I prepared a canvas and frame with gesso yesterday. The frame will be part of the painting. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Wow, how wonderful to have little friends so comfortable with you! Your painting is lovely, so much talent!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

O, good! I will be watching for your new painting, Penny.
The frame will be part of the painting, you say. How avant guard and interesting.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...


O, they are such sweet friends, and they remember that you have a pocket of treats.
Thank you so much, Virginia. I love to paint birds.