". Arranged Words: Cyanotypes and Ink Making

21 Feb 2023

Cyanotypes and Ink Making

 Hi everyone,

Making Cyanotypes, or sun prints last summer was fun, and I am looking forward to the season ahead.

Eco printing on fabric sounds great too. I can only imagine what the kitchen would look like when I finished whipping up a batch, using fabric and leaves, bits of iron, string, alum, vinegar, and a cauldron for boiling up the whole lot. 

 For now, back to Cyanotypes.

Below a print of my Grandmother, Lilas. First printed as a negative and then placed on watercolour paper brushed with Cyanotype mixture. The sun does the rest of the work.



   
 Original picture. 

I decided not to "fix" the picture in Photoshop by removing all the nicks etc. I like it the way it is. 

My grandmother, Lilas, was a midwife. She also travelled with and assisted the doctor. If the doctor wasn't available, and he often was not, my grandmother went wherever she was called, day or night, alone. 

My mother told me that my grandmother was also called upon to "lay" people out.

Back then life was more uncertain and precarious, and I know it wasn't an easy life for a lot of people. 
My mother told me a few stories about my grandmother's life and work. ( I wrote them down.) 
I only remember seeing her a hand full of times. She was quiet, and warmth and serenity radiated out from her person.

 Apparently, Grandmother cried a lot, but she carried on, brought up a large family, and never turned  down anyone who needed help. Nor, as far as I know did she take any payment. All that makes her remarkable in my books. 

                                                                                * * *
Ink Making...

                                                       
                                                      Sumac gathered for ink making.

 Late last fall,  I decided to make ink.  So I gathered some Sumac,, but there were too many bugs in most of the Sumac at that time. This fall I will gather earlier.


        The ink turned out lighter than expected, so will make a few adjustments next year and                                                          see what happens. 



                                    Trying a dagger brush from Jackson's Art. 

Jason Logan from Toronto has a book out titled Make Ink that I have ordered. Click here to read an article about him and his reasons for making natural botanical ink.

A little greenery...


                                          Succulents living quite well on a cold window sill.
                                                            Dried  Fern and clover

Matcha Latte



Asparagus Fern...Love ferns.



No mention of books here for awhile, so…
 A Year Unfolding. 
 I admire Angela’s expressive, detailed style. She’s an amazing  artist.
Check out her website here


The sun shines on the wall now. Such an uplifting sight.
Spring has begun to stir.

Thank you for your comments on my last post. Fun to read the different opinions about the Snowman. 

Cultivate Your Dreams

                                   Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 
                                                Thanks to all for hosting.  


28 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I like the hydroponics. Ink making. I never thought about it! Hmmm.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful post, Dixie. I loved learning about your grandmother. It's amazing, what they did and who they were, these women of the past who don't have all the conveniences we take for granted. I love the print -- I'm not at all familiar with the technique so I learned something new today! All the other photos are wonderful -- a beautiful escape for this winter day!

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

Wow I am impressed

NCSue said...

Wow! That's really cool! I love this post.
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/02/spring-is-here.html

Kim said...

Dixie, your grandmother sounds as if she was a remarkable woman. That generation went through the most difficult of times but they always seemed to just get on with it regardless of what they faced. The making of ink is fascinating. I've never really thought about how it's made.

Veronica Lee said...

Your grandma sounds like an amazing woman, Dixie.
Fascinating to learn about ink making.

Christine said...

Lovely tribute to a strong grandmother! Beautiful art.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow what an impressive post. Happy Thursday.

Much💜love

My name is Erika. said...

I love to play around with printing both cyanotypes and eco-printing. I've never tried using a negative before. Your grandmother came out great in your cyanotype. I haven't tried making my own inks from leaves etc.; I'm not sure I'm interested in doing that as I'm more interested in making cloth or paper backgrounds. Thanks for sharing this interesting post.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

So much fun to grow things. Tomatoes on the grow now. Can't wait to see how they do.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Lillian

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Sue

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

She was a dear heart, Veronica.
I can see more ink in my future. :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Christine.
Have a lovely weekend.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Happy Thursday to you too, Gillena.
Thanks so much too.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I think it would be fun to try eco printing on cloth. Glad to hear you are having fun with it, Erika.
Thank you for your lovely comments.
Have a great weekend.

Tom said...

...we have a lot of greenery in the house to enjoy on these cold winter days. I love your dried fern and clover. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I believe this is the first time I have visited your blog. I was raised by grandparents, so I was delighted to see yours and to read about her selfless nature. You can be proud of her.

I have a kit to make a cyanotype, but have never used it. I have done a LOT of eco printing on cloth. I share it on my blog. I have not eco printed on paper, but I plan to do so this summer.

I don't make printing ink, but I have made some dyes that are similar that could be turned into printing ink. My latest venture was with orange peels. I think we have a lot in common and Iook forward to visiting often.

NOT a good way to meet the first time. I can't leave a comment because I am getting a "Failed to Comment." I will keep trying, though.

Gillena Cox said...

Dixie, thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much💜love

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks for hosting, Gillena.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Lovely to have pockets of green about, especially this time of year, Tom.
Looking forward to the woodland filled with new ferns and also the smell of new clover. Ahhhh.
Enjoy the weekend...

Peabea Scribbles said...

To me it's amazing that you do all this. Had/have no clue how, but love visiting to see what you've been up to. What a lovely story about your grandmother. One to be admired for sure.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Very creative process you did ~ lots of time it takes I bet ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

We need more people like your Grandmother in this day of hate and culture wars ... I think our parents and grandparents would be in tears if they could see the world we live in. Love the idea of hydroponics, but have never tried it. Looks to me like you are very successful with it. You dabble in areas of art that I have never approached. It is fun to see what you do and to learn new ideas. Lovely post ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you so much.
I sometimes get carried away. So many interesting crafts out there to explore.
But time to reign it in, I reckon. :^)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Carol.
Not long for the Cyanotypes. Print the picture on a negative, cover the paper with
the liquid and place in the sun for about 5-7 minutes. And presto!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I agree. We could use more co-operation and tolerance which would, I think, lead to greater unity. The time is now!
Small things happen every day though. Recently had 2 complete strangers help my son get his car dug out. Lovely folks!
Thank you for your visit and lovely comments, Andrea.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Not sure what is going on. Seems to lock out if I only allow blogger comments. If I allow anonymous comments, it will bypass comment approval and post the comment immediately. Sheesh.
Thank you for letting me know. I've also been locked out of visiting a few blogs. Something about only private access. Blogger needs to get with it! I hope it is fixed soon.
Making dye with orange peels. That sounds like fun, and I bet it smells good too.
Thank you for your comments, and for trying and finally succeeding in leaving a message. On my way to visit your blog...
Best Wishes...