". Arranged Words: Wintering in Colour

13 Feb 2024

Wintering in Colour



Hi everyone,

I hope you all had lovely, happy holidays!

Of late, over this way, I've been puttering about, enjoying painting and experimenting with different mediums. An overall quiet time--winter works for cocooning in place with good books, paints, yarn and, of course, tea. Where would the world be without tea?

This year, February barged in with a bang. The earth moved!

 We have had two small earthquakes over the years. The first one was more severe. The noise was unbelievable with the loudest cracking sound I ever heard. It reverberated for  a minute or two. Your mind turns--where to run to--what to do. Thankfully, it stopped. Always good to have a plan or two in place.

Did you watch the Superbowl? Is that even an admissible question? Fair weather fan here. Enjoyed chicken chili, and watched the half time show. 

Pastel on pastel mat paper.

             
 Thanking Jesse for these beautiful blue pastels.
 Watercolours-Sennelier and three Daniel Smith's. Always fun to mix greens, but Daniel Smith's sap green works well with a hint of red mixed in to tone it down.               


           
                                                  
 The three colours in the last row are Daniel Smith's.  Love the Opera Rose, although it is a fugitive colour.
                                 


A little grocery store bought colour oasis.


Scraps of paper will do when you don't have a lot of time, or you may want to paint quick daily paintings.  As you can see, the painting on the right is halved because I put the lane almost in the middle. A definite no no. (She lives and sometimes learns.) 

* * *
Books:

What an amazing book this is. Not hard to know why it won the Pulitzer.  In a you tube interview with Richard Powers, he said he researched the book for six years. And while it's a work of fiction with a cast of human characters, trees are, in my opinion, the main characters. 

I've always loved trees; was surrounded by them in my childhood, and if you been reading here awhile you will know that I love to be in the woods. It's difficult not to feel sad when watching land being cleared. Now more than ever because there aren't that many tracks of treed land left. 
  
In case you are interested, besides this book, a couple of recommendations are: The Wild Trees by Richard Preston published in 2008, and more recently The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohellben. 

Netflix has bought the rights to The Overstory, so we can expect an adaptation sometime-- can't locate a time line just yet.
After reading these books, I could go on and one. But I will say there's no doubt in my mind that we walk among miracles. Trees are a community.  They help each other out. They are so remarkable it's mind boggling. 
Definitely a crime to cut old growth forests, especially the giant red woods; as you probably know, they can be 20 or 30 stories high and they have likely graced us with their presence since say 786 or longer! 


Speaking of miracles, my Echeveria elegans is blooming


Enjoy the week


And Happy Valentine's Day!


Cultivate Your Dreams

                                    Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

                                                         Thank you to all for hosting.  


24 comments:

Kim said...

I confess, Dixie...I did not watch the Superbowl. =) Goodness those earthquakes sound a little scary! Beautiful paintings you have imagined while you have been cocooning yourself over winter. If only everyone drank tea, the world would be a friendlier place. Lovely pitcher of tulips. Looks like spring is just around your corner. Those books sound great; I must hunt them down. Lovely to visit your lovely place again, Dixie.

Suzana said...

I'm so glad I can comment. I do not know what you changed here but I hope it's working.
I love this new post, with so many beauties and ideas about books.
And so fine shades of blue!
Thank you for sharing!
Have a fabulous week, Dixie!
Be well and always inspired! ❤️😘

My name is Erika. said...

Dixie your painting is gorgeous. That sky is amazing, and so is the view. And your quick paintings are gorgeous too. I love all the flowers you added blooming away like it's a beautiful summer day. (Instead of the cold winter wind we have today at my house. ) And I've wondered about The Overstory. It sounds fantastic, and it's on my reading list. And your flowers are really beautiful too. Thanks for sharing some wonderful bloom. Happy Valentine's Day and also thanks for joining Vicki's challenge at AJJ. hugs-Erika

NCSue said...

Lovely works of art - both yours and God's (as shown in the flower arrangements).
The Super Bowl was more interesting to me that ever before as I have finally begun to understand the game a bit in my 8th decade of life. But the halftime show didn't interest me in the least.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/02/le-hostellerie-des-trois-pigeons.html

Peabea Scribbles said...

Your paintings are so lovely. I admire those that can sit and paint. I think would be so lovely. My youngest sister (in her 70's) has discovered she really can paint. Never thought she could. A hidden talent late in life. Love your flowers. Made me think I should treat myself. Haven't in a long time, but do like flowers, and I miss the outside ones. Have a great week.

Slabs said...

Earthquakes - not good at all. Encountered two in my lifetime, but would prefer not to have it repeated.
Superbowl - sorry to disappoint, but do not watch it.
Love your watercolor paintings - superb and so beautiful.
I visited you via Pictorial Tuesday Link Up 2 13 2024
My link: 6. I hope you will join us weekly at Wed-Sat at #WordlessWednesday (words welcome) https:// esmesalon . com / tag /

Tom said...

...your lavender tulips would be the the joy of my week. I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day!

Sandee said...

I live in California, so we're used to earthquakes here. I don't like them, but they are part of living here.

We didn't watch the super bowl. Not into sports. I do like the commercials though.

Love your artwork. Very pretty.

It's nice to meet you, Dixie.

Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

Veronica Lee said...

Your artwork is lovely, especially the pastel piece and your experimentation with watercolors.
I can only imagine how unsettling earthquakes must be, even if they were small. I've never experienced one.

Happy Valentine's Day, Dixie!

*Vicki* said...

Wow, your painting is so amazing! I've never worked with pastels but love the creamy looks it brings! The colors of your sky are stunning and I really love your work with the flowers below as well! Thank you for sharing your beautiful inspiration for my "light" theme at AJJ this month! Amazing!

Gillena Cox said...

Geez
Earthquakes are so scary.
Glad you are ok

MY THURSDAY POST IS<a href="https://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/2024/02/3429.html> HERE</a>


Much♡love

Christine said...

Lovely post!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Some really pretty flowers

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I used to watch the Super Bowl half-time when I was younger. I haven't in a long time. Sorry. Lovely art and flowers - love both. Have a great Friday!

Jeanie said...

Those books sound wonderful. I'll put them on my list. I love your art. Isn't it fun to do that first batch of color swatches? Opera Rose and Sap Green are two of my favorites. I'm glad my little art store has a full line of Daniels!

The rule about the middle doesn't always work for me. I love your path-in-the-middle piece even more than the other. There is a wonderful symmetry to it, taking the road and wondering what is at the end, but the asymmetry of the trees in the background. I think it works beautifully!

DVArtist said...

Really a lovely post, Dixe. Your paintings and the flowers are beautiful. I have been through many earthquakes some small some not so small. They are not fun either way. I hope you have a nice weekend.

Gillena Cox said...

So much beautiful things in this post
Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much♡love

craftytrog said...

A wonderful post Dixie! I love your beautiful art, and I love trees also. I go for two or three woodland walks every week 😍💚
Have a lovely weekend.
Alison

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your puttering is delightful, but your story of the earth quake is a bit scary. I can't imagine a large cracking sound ... seems like time to panic. Yes, I agree, a plan would be a good thing.
I too am a tree lover. I spend at least one day every two weeks or so in our wonderful Arboretum. The trees are magnificent and the air is clean with the fresh oxygen the trees produce. I will for sure get "The Overstory" and read it. And I will be watching for the Netflix version. I too get very sad when even one tree comes down. And I get angry when people clear trees so they can have a "pristine" yard. And really, another shopping center ... we don't need, but the greedy will destroy for the chance to make more profit. So you really don't want to get me started on this subject. Anyway, I gleaned a lot of joy from your post this week, Dixie ... Thank you for all of it.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I always enjoy seeing your paintings -- even the one divided down the middle -- some of us still don't know any better, although actually I guess I mean forgotten because even I learned the rule of three in a long-ago photography class. I am very interested in the book "The Overstory" and thanks for your recommendation. -- I enjoy walks in the woods (especially when were in the Pacific Northwest), know how important trees are and definitely believe trees communicate. I am going to put the book on my wish list as soon as I send this comment.

Fundy Blue said...

Your post made me happy, Dixie! It triggered happy connections. Yes, I did watch all of the Super Bowl. It was an awesome game! My team won, terry's didn't! Your pastel piece is soft and lovely with the clouds mirroring the flowers. I had to look up fugitive color since I don't remember hearing it before. Why does such a pretty color have to be fugitive? I really loved "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohellben which I read last year. I have always been fascinated with the question of whether or not trees communicate (which I always felt they did). This week I visited the Foster Botanical Garden in Honolulu and saw some incredible trees. It was a privilege to walk among them. Have a great week!

Rain said...

Your pastel is beautiful Dixie. And I don't mind the lane in the middle at all on your painting!!! ♥

Rudbekia said...

Wow!!!
Amazing.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

I am so glad to hear that the earthquakes did not cause any/much damage. They can be so scary. Lovely paintings and flowers. The lane in the middle looks good to me. Jesse picked a beautiful set for you. Dioxazine purple is one of my favourites! Happy painting!

-Soma