". Arranged Words: Spotlight on Ondaatje

4 Jun 2013

Spotlight on Ondaatje

I won all five. What a stroke of luck. And, YES, they are autographed.
                                        

Ondaatje is a powerful writer. His books flow on a lyrical tide. Behind the pen, or computer keyboard are, no doubt, fine strong hands driven by the mind of a master story teller.

Ondaatje's most recent book The Cat's Table which I have read, has recently been released in paperback. The story captivated me from its rained soaked beginning. The setting, for most of the novel, is on board a ship. And the ship? Animated--alive from stem to stern. A setting that piques the senses and takes us along on a magical journey of discovery where the reader assumes, without thinking, the role of watchful guardian and, as an added bonus, recaptures a hint of their youth.

A question remains. Can I really do without the paperback? I think not. And it must, I reckon, be a book of the tangible kind with real feel good pages. After all, it's a book that deserves another--this time--since there were many others on the library waiting list, leisurely read.

No comments: