". Arranged Words: Naturally--Dyed in the Wool

15 Jul 2013

Naturally--Dyed in the Wool

Another house that I visited in the village had hand dyed wool, a loom and spinning wheels. As you can see from the pictures, the colours are beautiful. The hues are mostly muted. I would definitely like to knit with some of these natural colours. I especially like the apple bark dyed yarn and how about the one on the table to the far right? Lovely!
From left to right, apple bark is in the second bowl in the back row and is on the right.  Cochineal, or carmine dye is made from an insect acid, which I can't imagine using, but it has been used for centuries and is still used in food colouring and lipstick, but what a gorgeous colour.
I wish I knew how to operate a loom.
A little over exposed, but, again, 1840's style. Does anyone know how this delicate shawl was made?  Is it weaved?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


Nice colors. I'm thinking it might be crochet. I'm not really sure, but I do like it.

Sue

Anonymous said...

I do like the colors of the yarn. Do you know what the yarn on the far right was dyed with? I, too, think that the shawl might be tatted.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I looked up tatting and that makes sense. Some of it looks very open like the shawl. Thanks very much!

Although I tried to zoom in, I can't read the label on the yarn. When I go out to the village for another visit, I will try to find out what they used to dye it with; it might be fun to try, but then I think of the mess I would make. ;-)