". Arranged Words: Barking Up the Right Tree

10 Sept 2013

Barking Up the Right Tree

Two of my favourite things: old houses and old trees--huge deciduous trees that is, although evergreens are beautiful too, especially blue spruce. Old houses usually sport unique features--perhaps a large play room with a small door entrance, or cellar walls packed with huge hand wrought rolled stone, or a separate dressing room for the lady of the house. And if you are lucky, you might be able to explore an attic filled to the brim with treasures such as a round cylinder phonograph, or record player, complete with purple records that I once found.

After moving back to the "south" from northern Canada--above the Arctic Circle, that is, where black spruce, stunted willows, and tundra reign [ the tundra is beautiful], although I've always admired deciduous trees, that admiration, has intensified.


Over the past few weeks, I noticed that the tops of many of the trees have been kissed by the blush of autumn. There's an oak tree about two miles from here that turns a gorgeous yellow orange in the fall. I don't have a picture of it, but it`s still ripe in my mind's eye. Last year, the rains got to it before I could. Hopefully, this year I will be successful.

Onward for a small tour..

One of the oldest houses in Ontario. The Sir John Johnson House. 

The view from the back door of the old house. I think this is a butternut tree. If you know for sure, please let me know. To the left there was once a sawmill.

A bird's eye view of the Butternut Tree--well almost. It's stunningly beautiful! Soon it will be vividly dressed in autumn's "black tie."
Today it's stone counter tops, but I bet, back then, an ice house like this one was an item that  householders coveted. 
I thought Robert Frost said, ``Good fences make good neighbors.``

The blush in the top of the trees that I spoke about earlier. I took this picture the second week in August, so early indeed.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Beautiful trees! I imagine that they are getting more color each day.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I think it will be a great autumn this year with lots of colour.
I especially love to see the red and orange leaves.