". Arranged Words: Botanical Blues

19 Feb 2019

Botanical Blues

Hi there,

Grape Hyacinths are one of my favourite spring flowers. As a child, I remember standing in a garden  completely captivated by these delicate little beauties. Perhaps this is the second time in my life that I've actually had these flowers inside. They are hard to come by unless, that is, you grow them from bulbs.
                                                           Gouache flower cutout.

Yes, I did go to the Art Store in Ottawa. And what wonderful place it is. From the easels to the pencils, it's all wonder.  I know I said I was going to pare down some items, (and I did jettisoned a few that I hope someone else will find useful) but these items are, I reckon, a necessity.

Winsor and Newton Opera Rose...much maligned because it doesn't appear to be light fast, but when you dry brush it over, certain flower paintings ( especially purple) it really does hide the flatness and adds warmth. Because I wanted sanded paper, I haven't tried my pastels yet, but, now, all systems are set to go.

Tip: When you buy new brushes, do throw away the protective plastic tip.  Many people try and put the tips back on. The fine hairs can catch and ruin the brush, and if there happens to be any water in the brush it can mildew.
Can't wait to read this book.


Since I've always been fascinated by the explorers, I was very pleased to find this book. Published in 2017. There is such a wide range of wonderful entries. 

After a 14 week cool down in a neighbor's fridge, I bought the tulips home and they are coming up. No Snowdrop sprouts yet, but, regardless, I will bring them home this weekend.
The trick will be to keep them cool. I have them against a cold window. Next week the temps
are suppose to climb to above zero so I will put them outside. That should help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.



The Botanical Blue sketch.

 Apparently, this Micron pen isn't the same beautiful blue that I usually use, although it claims to be the same colour. I will go over the line drawing again and that should bring up the colour.
Hellebore, crocus, daffodils, pansies, tulips, a snowdrop, and, of course, a birdie.

'Til next time...


Cultivate Your Dreams!  


8 comments:

Kim said...

Your Botanical Blue sketch is lovely, Dixie. A perfect introduction to Spring. The Botanical Garden books looks as if it will be a fabulous read, not to mention overspilling with lovely pictures.

Anonymous said...

Dixie, I, too, love grape hyacinths. They come up in my front lawn in Spring. Such a welcome sight, just as is the Forsythia I can see through my patio doors. It won't be long now.
I, too, love your Botanical Blue sketch and the Botanical Garden Book looks wonderful.
Love, Joannie

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Pretty flowers and your Botanical Blue sketch is really lovely! I wish you all the luck with the tulips and the snowdrops. I love snowdrops but it's too warm here even to try. Nice art supplies. Happy reading and painting :)

-Soma

betty-NZ said...

Nature is certainly a fantastic place for artistic inspiration!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Kim.
I've been enjoying the botanical book. Always nice to see how someone else paints flowers.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Are things blooming down you way now? I know spring arrives in your area much earlier than here. Doesn't Forsythia scream spring? I used to have a lovely big one in my yard. Sometimes I'd bring in a few branches to rush things along. Nothing like a few Forsythia branching blooming indoors.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Flowers do bring me so much joy. I've been looking at hillsides of poppies blooming in southern California. Amazingly gorgeous!
Thank you so much Soma.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I agree whole heartily, Betty. Always wonderful to get out there and see what's
on the grow. Your area's lovely!