". Arranged Words: To the Sea

29 Oct 2019

To the Sea

 Hi there,

It has been awhile. I hope you are all doing well!
I was off to visit with family. And those lucky people live in Nova Scotia. Have I mentioned that I    love and miss the sea? Probably only about a million times, I suppose.

  A dory bobbing about the harbour in my home town.


A perfect day for sailing.





As you know,  I love old houses too. Notice the antique lantern above the door.
And look at the door! I better not get started on doors. 👀



It always pleases me to see an old house left unscathed by modern fancies. 

Another beauty.

This one is for sale. I'm counting my pennies.

A hitching post perhaps?  When I went to school, I walked by it every  day.

An outside basement cellar door. Not many left now. Notice it is not locked. The house wasn't usually accessible through these cellars.



Ancient trees that have been there for probably much more than a century uprooted by hurricane Dorian. The clean up was still in progress. Thankfully, no one was hurt.



This beauty is in Lunenburg, N.S.

Nova Scotia's Ambassador The Bluenose II in Lunenburg harbour. The original Bluenose was built in 1921.  
The name Bluenoser is nickname for Nova Scotians. When I was a child I was told that, long ago, (18th century) fishermen wore blue knitted mitts and they would sometimes, while fishing from their dories, swipe their misty noses with their blue mitts. Of course the dye ended up on their noses. Hence Bluenoser. 

Black Rocks, N.S.


Rock weed, or sea weed. What a gorgeous colour!

My lovely niece, Marci.


I thought I might stay and sell seashells by the seashore, but, alas, it was not to be.


Linking with Wandering Camera

'Til Next time...
 
Cultivate Your Dreams!




10 comments:

Kim said...

Oh those houses, oh those doors......oh the sea! This post is choc-filled with gorgeous photo after gorgeous photo, Dixie. Nova Scotia is a sublime place, it seems. Your post brings back happy memories of the Anne of Green Gables books. Lucky you for having family who live there. May I join you and sell seashells by that beautiful seashore?? So delighted to visit your sublime little place again. You make me want to skip through my day.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I think we would be the best of the seashell sellers on the shore, Kim. I am sure with your help we would have the most inviting display too!
It is gorgeous in N.S., and I was so pleased to be there.
Thank you, Kim.
Best Wishes

Angie said...

Dixie - we visited Nova Scotia MANY years ago before we had kids. I remember how much I loved the combination of the seaside and the quaint villages with glorious architecture. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, and your recent visit to my blog!

Lydia C. Lee said...

I love the boat on the sparkling water

betty-NZ said...

I love the ocean, too, and am glad I live so close. Your photos are just awesome. Seashell hunting is always fun, no matter where :)


My Corner of the World

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

You are so welcome, Angie.
And thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Lydia.
I find it an uplifting image too.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Yes, the ocean does provide a lot of different looks. So much beauty.
I managed to find some nice pieces of sea glass, but no shells. Next time. :)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I can easily see why you miss the sea, Dixie! So peaceful and beautiful. Beautiful old houses too, I am glad that Dorian didn't ruin them. The yellow door is fabulous, and I love the story of Bluenosers :) Have to visit some day!

Thank you soooo much for linking this one on Wandering Camera!

-Soma

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

You are most welcome, Soma. Many thanks for hosting!
The sea does hold so much beauty and many moods too.
Always changing and forever captivating.