". Arranged Words: All About Summer

5 Sept 2023

All About Summer



Brockville in the Thousand Island.

Sails up ready for fare winds! Or was he/she just in a really hurry for lunch and a cool drink.

Hi everyone,

Labour Day raced by and I am happy to report we are still in the throes of summer.
Although autumn brings with it so many wonderful sights, sounds, smells, and well, just so much beauty, I like to hang onto summer until the equinox on September 22nd. Autumn can wait.

As you know, August always rushes in the front door and out the back door before you can say jack rabbit it seems. But it did make a pit stop for my birthday. Yes! Completed another milestone trip around the sun. I'm happy to report my birthday was a red letter day too!

 Moving on...I do have a name for the draw, but more about that later.

 
 
 Oh, photo might have been clearer...

As you can see, I was at a red light in a purple and green, backfiring (putt, putt) standard jalopy on a very steep hill--need I say more.


                         
       Just love doors/beautiful entryways. This one in particular looks so cheerful and welcoming. It is a hotel, so a lot of signage going on, but nevertheless I love how it looks. And how about those reflections in the window.
I could easily spend a night there, I reckon.


    
    Took a stroll down this street because one of the windows in this old wall holds a surprise that I've been wanting to get a photo of.


 
And here they are--horses of all things! What a in your face look.  Could they be stallions with something to prove?

        
                                            A front garden. 

 Although bountiful, and even though it isn't really small it brings to mind a quote from the Pride and Prejudice movie: "You have a very small garden, madam." 


Brilliant idea to create levels.


                                                                 
                                                                              * * *
 
From the sketchbook...
 

First time using Etcher sketchbooks. Rather good sketchbooks, I'd say.

Painted using some metallic and regular watercolours on a background of indigo.
I've been watching a few you tube videos on indigo dyeing. An artform in itself.
                    At some point, I will make a card out of this, I reckon.

 ~ And now to the draw. Drum roll...please Figaro! Oh, Figaro... F-I-G-A-R-O

Figaro the Magnificent fired up the random number generator and... he's happy to announce that the winner is: Marilyn. Figaro insisted on two winners. He loves giveaways! 
So the Second winner is: Jeanie. (Second winner will receive same print but one card will be different.)
Please contact Dixie with your addresses via email/contact form, so she can zoom down to the post office in the jalopy (asap) with your packages.

 A big thank you to all for your lovely comments on my last post and for your visits. You are appreciated.

Until next time...

                                               Cultivate your Dreams

                                  Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

                                                Thanks to all for hosting.  

32 comments:

NCSue said...

You got some great photos even though you weren't satisfied with the photo quality of the backlit shot near the beginning. I have YET to get a decent backlit image. Perhaps some day...
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/09/some-capital-photos.html

Peabea Scribbles said...

Great photos, and do love random door ones. Of course anything to take a photograph of is always interesting to look at later to see if your eye missed anything. Love your gathering of photos this week.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful series of photos ushering out the summer in a way ~ still humid in USA in MA ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...Brockville looks great and it's HOT here too. Enjoy your September.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

The backlit photos are hard to take. My camera doesn't have a mirror which helps by times and is not so good at other times.
Someday I may take a course.:)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Did cool for awhile, but back to hot now.
Looking forward to a lovely fall.
Thanks for visiting.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Carol.
The heat has circled back around, but it won't be for long.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you. And a big thank you for hosting.

Gattina said...

Beautiful and interesting photos !

Suzana said...

I love your photos, but that with horses is in top. And the sketch is fabulous.
Have a fine September, Dixie! Hugs! ❤️😘

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Gattina.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Love those horses too. :)
Thank you, Suzana.
Have a lovely September. Hugs

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hope you are reading this, Marilyn. You were one of the winners of the draw.
Please contact me with you address via the contact form, and I will be happy to
send your winnings out to you!
Enjoy the weekend...

Veronica Lee said...

I enjoyed seeing your delightful series of photos, Dixie.

Happy Belated Birthday 🎂

Joanne said...

These are some lovely photos! I love your floral sketch. I have never tried using metallic watercolors before but they look so lovely against the dark background.

Jeanie said...

I really love your art piece. I've been periodically doing cone flowers but the metalics and the subtle colors here-- fabulous. And please, someday, travel gods, let me stay at that hotel, just so I can take a photo of it and say "I stayed here." I adore that! Our 90-degree Labor Day and day after have gone down into the low 60s. I liked the summer part better! And hooray! So excited to win your beautiful art piece! Thank you!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Veronica,
Thank you so much.
Best Wishes

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

First time using the metallic watercolours for me.
I only have gold and silver, but there are complete sets, I think.
Thank you, Joanne.

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous wstercolour
Happy Thursday

Much🖤love

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Gillena.
Best Wishes...

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

It would seem I missed out on a drawing ... never fails. There is never a good time to miss a week of blogging. Your pictures are lovely and I love your Hotel Entrance ... like you said, very welcoming. Though Etcher Sketch Books are good, I don't think they can lay claim to the beautiful artwork you added to their pages. Very nice ... now I would enter a drawing for that painting :) Have a great week ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

My name is Erika. said...

Brockville looks lovely. And you are right about some of those doorways. They are cool. I hope you have a lovely weekend. hugs-Erika

Gillena Cox said...

Dixie. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much🖤love

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It is a nice place to visit. So many beautiful old houses there.
Must get a few pictures.
Enjoy the weekend
Best Wishes

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks for hosting, Gillena.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Andrea. :) Much appreciated.
Enjoy the weekend...

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love that yellow door! And the way you catch the remarkable in everyday walks. And you sketch! Your posts are always so lovely to visit!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you. :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Sally.
I do appreciate your lovely comments.

NatureFootstep said...

a beautiful sketch :)