". Arranged Words: All of a Sudden

21 May 2024

All of a Sudden

 


Hi everyone, 

Time has a way of slipping by, so it has been awhile.

The spring art exhibition was a successful event. Always nice to greet the public and spend time in a room filled with beautiful artwork. Several students also participated in the spring show and their work was impressive, indeed.

 And so May has arrived--such a beautiful month.  Even though I was checking daily, all of a sudden, it happened, one morning when I looked out the window the trees were sporting new leaves. Definitely awe inspiring, and you wonder how it happened so fast.

Glorious greens in varying hues catch your eye and bird songs fill the air. Ah spring, so wonderful.

 

 Because it was so warm in March, the sap ran early. But heavy frost followed in April, so a lot of the trees lost their buds. Never happened before that I know of, and I have been around awhile. However, as you can see they recovered well.
 
                                                                    Lilacs

                                 A  dreamy, spectacular day. So beautiful!
 

                                                        The geese enjoying new tasty grass.
                                     
                                                  "A Light exists in Spring
                                                   Not present on the Year
                                                   At any other period --
                                                   When March is scarcely here"

                                    Emily Dickinson. A Light Exists In Spring.

In early March last year, I happened upon this American Bittern. He or she was intent on catching a meal, so he didn't seem to notice me. That day an anxious photographer with huge lenses on a tripod was circling the area. He ask me if I knew the name of the bird, and if I had ever seen one before. Because I have a few bird guides, I knew it was a Bittern. I said that I had never seen one before, although I've been looking for years.

 What a scoop!  I only wish I had one of his photos, but, alas, I do not. Although blurry, I count myself lucky to have this photo and to have seen this wonderful bird.




 In April the beavers were busy in the marsh. Not sure what they are up to. The water is shallow and sometimes they drain the marsh, so it's not the best place for a beaver lodge. Perhaps they will dine on the invasive cattails and purple loose strife. That would be great.
 

                                                            A muskrat lodge, I believe. 

                          There are also mink in the marshlands. We saw one last week.

                           No time for a photo opt though. They scamper along the boardwalk, flip over the side and disappear in a flash.
           

                                           A bumper crop of Trillium this year.

                         
                         
                                                  

   A likeness from Sargent's portrait drawings #7. Over the year, I will draw practice copies of most of the drawings in this small booklet. There are 41. So far while drawing, I keep asking myself how did he do that? Amazing.

 A free hand with a little added watercolour on Strathmore toned tan sketch paper. The best drawing paper I have found. While drawing this, I erased many times and it didn't mar the paper. It did buckle a bit from the watercolour, but it is not made for mediums.
              The sketchbook is a bit pricey these days. I bought this one sometime ago, but recently bought one with gray toned paper which was cheaper. If you are interested, perhaps you can find a better deal at your local art store.
 
 Tip for portraits from Milan Art.  "Generally,  the middle of the eye lines up with the corners of the mouth. And the inner eye lines up with the outside of the nose."


                                                                     Until Next time...
                                                          
                                                                   Cultivate Your Dreams

                                              Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

                                                          Thank you all for hosting!
                                             


26 comments:

csuhpat1 said...

What a beautiful place.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hi Dixie. It was good to see you posting again. Lovely photos from your part of the world. Thanks for joining us for T this Tuesday.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fabulous post, Dixie! Wonderful photos of your area, you have lots of great wildlife! I haven't seen a beaver in years! Thanks so much for linking to our challenge at AJJ, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

That is a whole lot of trilliums. I haven't seen any this year. Your photos are lovely, as is the poem and your drawing. Thanks for sharing with us at AJJ. It is appreciated. And I hope you had a lovely T day too. hugs-Erika

Jim said...

Great shots.

Veronica Lee said...

Dixie, your post is a delight!
Love your spring snapshots, poetic musings and drawing.

Happy Wednesday, Dixie!

Great to have you posting again.

Suzana said...

So lovely and serene these images. I'm glad you are back showing us your work!

All the best and many inspirations, Dixie!❤️😘

Lisca said...

What a lovely area! Where in the world are you? Is the name Dixie an indication?
The Emily Dickson poem is so true.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Lisca
Usually we have a lot of rain, so everything is very green and lush.
No, no indication by name, but I am in Ontario, Canada.
Enjoy the weekend...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, csuhpat

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks for hosting.
Yes, spring so beautiful.
And thanks. I am glad to be back.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Valerie,
Thanks so much for hosting.
I haven't seen that particular beaver, but I hope to soon.
Enjoy the weekend.

Kim said...

What a beautiful sight.....a lilac tree heavy with flowers against a blue, blue spring sky. Just perfect. Your portrait is lovely. How you must be soaking in all that spring and early summer gifts you, Dixie.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely spring update! The pics are beautiful.

nwilliams6 said...

Great pictures - so pretty. Love your sketching too - very good. Happy T-day (late)!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Lovely photos and so many trilliums. Your sketch is looking wonderful! Sounds like a wonderful exercise.

-Soma

Christine said...

Lovely post!

Tom said...

...I have never seen so many red trillium in one spot before. Thanks for taking me along on the nature walk.

Fundy Blue said...

May is a wonderful month, Dixie! Thanks for sharing the beauty in your area. That lilac bush is magnificent, and I bet it smelled divine. Enjoy your weekend!

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gusto las flores y el paisaje. Te mando un beso.

Gillena Cox said...

Greats photos. You sketch is lovely.
Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much♡love

Jeanie said...

I love your sketch, Dixie. What a great exercise. It has been the oddest spring (and winter, for that matter.) Hot, cold, warm again, cool again. And now almost June. I missed the trillium this year. That pink one is a gem!

DVArtist said...

Dixie, these photos are spectacular and I love your drawing. It's still cold here, especially at night. You are lucky to have blooms. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Debra | Gma'sPhoto said...

Peaceful images. Thank you for showing them to us!
You are invited to share at Gm'sPhoto, My Sunday Snapshot.
https://gmasphoto.website/categories/linkup-parties/

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh Dixie, I couldn't agree more, Spring is a beautiful time. On our lake spring was marked with new life among the many birds we had in the area and of course through the blooming of the trees. We also had Trillium, a woodland flower that I adore. I have only seen a Bittern at a long distance and even with my telescopic lens I couldn't capture a good picture ... and I don't see blur in your picture. I think it is lovely.
Thank you for the tips from Milan, I never knew that and will put it to good use sometime soon. I too like the tan sketch paper and have used it for some of my favorite drawings. Lovely post, Dixie. Hope to see more of you in the future :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Sharon Wagner said...

My dreams are seedlings, but they're sprouting!