". Arranged Words: One for the Show

17 Sept 2013

One for the Show

I went to see The Butler on Sunday and to my surprise I was the only one in the theater. Spooky? Yes and no. The good news: I chose the best seat in the house--smack dab in the middle. I settled down, but soon felt the grip of unease. Was there a  severe weather warning in effect that I had inadvertently missed? For a moment, I considered running out of there and heading for the hills.

Just when I was falling into a grandiose reverie about a private viewing, a young woman walked in, looked up at me with a puzzled look, sat down and pulled out an ipad, which, thankfully, she kept, because of its brash light, hidden from view. Later, a man stumbled in, looked around like the newly forlorn, and took a seat a few rows up from the young woman. I remained alone in my lofty perch.

Presently, the young lady got up and sauntered out, clearly distressed by the subject matter. Later, the man also succumbed, so I was, once again, left alone to ponder my fate.

 In the movie, Oprah portrayed the wife of the butler. She, apparently, can act, and act she did. In her role as wife and mother she covered a range of emotions that were flawlessly rendered. It was a great performance!

The movie was difficult to watch. It's based on a turbulent historical time that needs airing. My hope is that this movie will promote unity and re-ignite compassion and a sense of justice that makes the world a better place in which to live.

(For the record, it was a strange day--cold and wet and the streets were almost deserted.)


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I saw The Butler the weekend before last. It was a small theater, but there were a good number of people. We liked the film a lot. It shows how much has changed, but also (as you say) promotes a desire for even more unity, compassion and justice for all.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

The town was like a ghost town that day...The irony of that situation wasn't lost on me when one of the characters in the movie said something about the room should feel empty when I am in it! 😄