". Arranged Words: Beautiful Days

4 Jun 2024

Beautiful Days

Hi everyone,

Time for another peek at the spring.  It is lovely just now.                                                         

          

             

                                          Iris, with wildflowers Anemone and Flox.

At one of the parks they cut down several truckloads of trees. Apparently there was a blight, but also, it looked to me, like they cashed in on a few good loads of timber.

What you see here is some of the undergrowth that has emerged with the sunlight now hitting the forest floor. The flower in the front may be Wild Bergamot or Bee Balm. It is a plant  I haven't seen before. Anyway, it was definitely waiting for the right moment, and it took the opportunity to fill in many gaps.

                                                     Also a new comer. I think it is wild rhubarb.
                                                                           

                                                                     * * *

 A few words about my dear friend, Joannie who passed away in April. She posted comments here and enjoyed the photos from the wilds that I took.

 Among her many accomplishments, Joannie went back to school at 46 and became a social worker and opened her own practice. Later in life, she also completed a Master Gardener's diploma.

What a gift she was to the world. I do miss her so much, but I feel blessed to have known her for 30 years and to call her my dear friend.

                                                           A Wonderful Hosta.

                                                 A pick me up Matcha
 

                                                                    * * * 


 In my lasts post, I mentioned I was drawing from a book of Sargent's work. But I happened across this photo on the Mets open access, so I decided to try and draw Etienne Maurie Falconet (1716-1791) from the photo. Etienne was as sculptor; his bronze of Peter the Great resides in, of course, St. Petersburg.
 
  First time using willow charcoal; it fades quickly, but it is very forgiving. A piece of glassine over the drawing would help, I reckon.

Thank you for your much appreciated comments on my last post. I tried to respond here, but  was only able to respond to a few before Blogger had other ideas. 

And this winds down another post from the hinterlands of Canada.

See you...

                                                 
                                                                   Cultivate Your Dreams

                                              Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

                                                         Thank you all for hosting!
                                            

34 comments:

NCSue said...

Lovely photos, Violetta!
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/06/52-years-ago-today.html

Mae Travels said...

Late spring seems to rush to have many types of flowers in bloom, and then we’re faced with endless green again.
Pretty photos!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lydia C. Lee said...

Very lovely. Great colour #TravelTuesday

My name is Erika. said...

Your blooms are right on track with mine here in New Hampshire. I wonder if your wild rhubarb is burdock. The flowers are very different; their more "spikey" and why they dry out they stick to everything. You have another lovely face this week too. I hope it was a happy T day. hugs-Erika

Veronica Lee said...

The flowers, especially the Iris with Anemone and Flox, are stunning.
I'm sorry about Joannie. She sounds like a wonderful person and an inspiration.
Your drawing of Etienne Maurie Falconet is fantastic.

Happy Thursday!

Violetta said...

Thank you Dixie for your nice visit to my blog. Yes springtime is a full of colours especially green....I am sorry about your friend. It is always sad to loose someone who ment a lot to you.
Have a good time
All the best
Violetta

Suzana said...

Is it good the matcha tea? I did not try till now.
Lovely images and the portret sketch.
All the best, Dixie! A lot of inspiration!❤️😘

CJ Kennedy said...

Very lush florals and the iris, anemone, and phlox are so delicate. Stunning portrait. The eyes are very expressive. Happy T Day

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful photos. Your friend was very special to you! Also, curious what software are you using to create your collage?

Jeanie said...

Blogger has such a mind of its own.

The photos are gorgeous -- love those iris and that marvelous green. And your drawing is lovely.

I'm so sorry about your friend Joannie. Any friend who passes is a loss; after 30 years, very hard indeed.

Tom said...

...lovely, but your flox (sic) is Dame's Rocket. It's hard to lose dear friends.

Christine said...

Lovely portrait!

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the flowers

Much♡love

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Judy,
Thank you. I use Photoshop Elements.
Much cheaper than Photoshop and it has many of the features.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I think you are right Erika.
Thank you for letting me know.
Best Wishes

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you so much Veronica.
Joannie was a wonderful, happy person.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I do love me a matcha latte. :) Easy to make and tasty as well.
Thank you, Suzana.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I stand corrected.
My wild flower book is a paltry thing.
Thank you for your kind words, Tom.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

And to you too, Gillena

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Many thanks, Christine.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you so much, CJ.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you so much, Violetta.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Lydia.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Love spring so much.
Thank you, Mae.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Dixie, sorry they cut down so much growth, they do that here, too, and there is mostly no sign of the disease or blight they are supposedly removing. But as you say, it brings in a lot of money!
I like the face you drew, but I don't know willow charcoal.
Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

your spring time photos are wonderful. I love your portrait too. Thank you for joining FFO and have a nice weekend.

carol l mckenna said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend for 30 years ~ she is with you still in spirit ~
Gorgeous nature photos ~ Portrait is fantastic ~ Wow!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Divers and Sundry said...

Spring is over here, and summer is upon us. Your greens make for refreshing spring scenes.

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gusto tu pintura y las flores. Te mando un beso.

Gillena Cox said...

You are invited to join my SundaySmiles linky party every Sunday

HERE

Much♡love

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Dixie. Your area looks so peaceful and lovely! That was a moving tribute to your friend Joannie. You captured a sense of Etienne's personality in your portrait. You mentioned the hinterland of Canada and had a number of N.S. photos in your profile. May I ask if you live in N.S.? You don't have to reveal that, if you wish to keep that information private. All the best from a native Bluenoser.

Spyder said...

Sorry I'm sooo late, I thought I'd been! Fabulous photo's. Summer is definitely here in England now, but it won't be long before the Autumn creeps in. There's just not enough Summer months to go round! Happy late T day ((Lyn))

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Fundy Blue
Thank you.
Oh yes. I am a proud native Bluenoser too.
Just now I live in Ontario—so beautiful, but
I do miss the sea.
Enjoy the week..

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful spring. Love your drawing :)