". Arranged Words: Unusual Encounters

2 Jun 2015

Unusual Encounters


On one of my walks, I ran into this Mallard who kept an eye on me as I walked passed. As you can see, I was very close but he held his ground because he was bravely protecting his lady.

I certainly didn't expect to see a beaver on the river; they are generally skittish and slap their tails on the water at the first sign of danger and dive, but I easily followed this carefree Charlie upstream to see where he was going.

     He stopped for a snack. I watched for awhile and then it was time to go. I hope to cross paths with
     him again.
11 ducklings, plus Momma duck, 2 snow geese, and a beaver. Amazing! The Momma duck chased off a Mallard and another duck while I looked on. Apparently, the geese and the beaver didn't pose a threat.

Although I've been painting, I don't have any pictures to share because the paintings  are in the mail, so I'll wait until they arrive.
    
I did, however, find a frame for my Marsh Wren. Since I don't know how to frame and didn't want to pay a king's ransom, it will do for now.
                             
 Unfortunately, my monitor quit working, so I've been using an old one. It's difficult to tell if the  pictures are too bright/dark, so I've left them as they are; I hope they are okay.

Enjoy the week. Thanks for reading...






10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What wonderful wild life pictures. How thrilling to have been so close to them all.

Love your little painting too.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful, Dixie. Your commentary is also wonderful. You so remind me of my friend, Rosie, who is also a painter, and excellent photographer who has won several awards for her work, Master Gardener, Wildlife lover and tireless walker.

Love, Joannie

Lorraine said...

How nice to have such company on your walk! And I love your painting. Looks wonderful to me.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Joanie.
That was a great day to stroll along the riverbank surrounded by such a fine gaggle of company.
I love to go the woods, gardens etc as often as I can. As a matter of fact, for me, they are the best and most relaxing spaces.

Penny said...

Strange... thought I commented on this post. If this ends up being a repeat, delete one of them will you, Dixie?

I was saying, that I LOVE beavers. Partly because they are creative, energetic and whimsical. You are so lucky to have had such close contact. Even more amazing is that you got geese, ducks and beaver in one photo. And... I like the frame. It seems just right for the little wren.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

That is a fun post, Dixie! The beaver sounds like my cat Charlie, he is also not afraid of anything. The marsh wren is beautiful, love the details :)

-Soma

Carolyn said...

Your photos are great! I never saw a beaver up close like that.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Carolyn.
I haven't see one that close for ages. I probably could have climbed part way down the bank, but I didn't want to take the chance of scaring him away. Like mostcreatures, they like their space.
Have a great weekend...

Barbara Lilian in France said...

How I envy you , seeing a beaver on your walk. We do have the ducks and other wildlife to see on different walks we take. Although I have only been taking walks along the lanes where I live, as I'm having problems with a trapped nerve again. So can't go too far. Your photos were lovely and your sweet little painting of Jenny Wren, it looks lovely framed.
Thank you for taking the time to pop over and leave such a nice comment on my visit to Denmark.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Penny,
Thank you.
No, only one post, but I noticed that the one I posted back to you didn't post. :-o Intrigues of the blogging world. How odd!
On my walks, I've been lucky. Besides the beaver, I loved seeing all those ducklings. So many for one small hen. I do hope they make it!
I hope you are having a great summer! Enjoy the evening....