". Arranged Words: The View From Here

13 Feb 2018

The View From Here

Outside . . .

Hello beauties! 

Doe a deer a female deer. 👀


All bluster along the river.


The yellow weeping willows.

Inside . . .

Lately, I've had the urge to knit something. Awhile ago, I bought two skeins of Brooklyn Tweed yarn, so I may knit one of their hats. In the meantime, besides a bit of seed planting, and stamp making, I've been drawing and painting flowers.


At the moment, I have snowdrops on my mind. Must be that spring thing creeping up on me again.  I'd love to see a snowdrop. Besides white, I did notice that, these days, there are amazing yellow and pink ones, too. 

Last fall, I looked for snowdrop bulbs, but didn't find any. If all goes well, and I can find them I will order some by mail next fall and try to force them. Forcing requires about 12 weeks of cool temperatures. A small fridge should work, although they can't be cooled near fruit.


I tried both sides of the Moulin du Roy 300 lb. watercolour paper for the Himalayan poppies. Another beautiful flower that I've never seen. I'm still not sure which side of the paper I like best, although the right side seems a bit more vibrant.( Yes, I am still arguing with paper. Fabriano was sooo perfect!)

I just noticed I am missing a flower stock. :)


Flower doodles.

💖


 (If you've been watching When Calls the Heart, season 5 starts Feb 18th. I can't wait!)
 My last Amaryllis for the season.


Enjoy the week . . .😘



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dixie: What a beautiful Amaryllis. I just love it. My sister has read The Reckoning, then The Purchase by Spaulding. She said it would have be best the other way round. She loved them both. What a beautiful deer. One of my Medicine Totem animals. We are hidden under high mounds of snow, but a few days of mild weather and it will all be gone. Love, Joannie

Kim said...

Ooh....looks very chilly there. How breathtaking to see deer in your neck of the woods. As always your drawings and paintings are beautiful. Love the Himalyan Poppies. Happy Valentine's Day to you, lovely Dixie.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Winter wonderland. I know it's extremely cold, but I have been a bit snow-starved this year. Thanks for sharing the photos. I have been knitting quite a bit lately too, can't wait to see what you make. Beautiful flower doodles/paintings. I like the white on black ones. Your Amaryllis is gorgeous. The little bird is so sweet, Dixie! I love the shade of yellow you used. It is always a pleasure to read your posts.

-Soma

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I enjoyed seeing your wintery photos and beautiful watercolors. We had 6 inches of snow yesterday and it turned very cold but sunny. I've never seen Snow Drop flowers growing wild here in Colorado--perhaps the deer would eat them? A handsome male deer looked right into my window yesterday--he just lost his antler and had a large gap on his head where it once lay.

September Violets said...

What a beautiful deer :) I have some snowdrops in my garden, but always seem to miss them flowering. I forget they will bloom even with snow on them. Thank you for the reminder to have a look now.
Wendy

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thanks, Joannie.
I read both books. They are based on Spalding’s family history, although, of course, much would be fictionalized.
We almost ran into two deer the other night on the way home from Ottawa. I just caught a glimpse of them so we were able to stop in time. Thank goodness!
We’ve been having warmer temps from a Bermuda high, so it almost looks like spring out there. :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It has been a cold winter, but we have had several breaks which help a great deal.
Thank you, Kim. I do love the blue poppies. I’ve been searching for seeds. I’d love to grow them.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Soma...I am besotted with Amaryllis! I only wish the bloom could last as long as the orchids. I use a gel pen for the white on black. A lot of fun.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Pat.
A deer peeking in the windows. I am sure that was a surprise!
It such a beautiful area that you live in, so there must be quite a few deer out and about.
I hope you will share some pics of the wildflowers from your area this spring. I’d love to see them.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you. She was looking for apples, but unfortunately, I didn’t have any. Although I am sure she gets several because many people stop there to admire the deer.
O, lucky you to have snowdrops. They are a wonderful little flower.