". Arranged Words: Spring Forward

6 Mar 2018

Spring Forward

With March's arrival, we the Hyperboreans, or northern folk can officially begin to think about spring.  Just knowing it is on the way makes all the difference. But even though, in these parts, spring takes its time, longer days do lighten the mood. (You notice happier people where ever you go.)

For the people on the eastern seaboard, March roared in like a lion. Unfortunately, that roar was a nor'easter with fierce wind gusts that brought power outages and storm surges. Here, further inland, March skipped in like a playful lamb, and a light wind, seemingly from all directions at once, whirled the snowflakes about. However, the old adage usually holds true:  If March comes in like a lamb it will go out like a lion and vice versa.

More beautiful downy flakes and, surprisingly, each one is uniquely different.

Huddled down in my creativity corner, my snowdrop fascination turned into another watercolour painting, and, then, I moved on to carving stamps and other things.

Paper ~  Flip side of Molin du Roy 140 lb paper.
                                                         Blue tulips, of course.




                                 Sketchbook doodles. Stillman and Birn sketchbook ~ Zeta series.

Watercolour ink blot test. Care to tell us what you see?


Splashes of colour from a $3.00 set of washable watercolour paints. ( An impulse buy just for the fun of it.) Rather waxy, but the paint does not run together, thus no muddy colours.  Brilliant!
Great for kids.

The Ocean.

For this painting on a birch panel, I used Tri Art's liquid glass and acrylic paints. It dries with a shiny hard finish--no need for spray varnish.

I did cast on a hat with Brooklyn tweed yarn. Click here to see the pattern. I am not sure how well the pattern will show up in this colour--time will tell. I do dream of knitting lace though, so I may put the hat away until fall.


                                               A gift that will stay in bloom for weeks to come.
                                                                       I love this colour.
         
                         
                                                  And greenery...Ferns are my favourite.  

When I was a child, I often tiptoed away to the head of the woods to stare at the lush green ferns. For me, they were then and still are a feast for the spirit.

Speaking of greenery, mail order seed packets are on the way. I am determined to have a bevy of blooming sweet peas this summer.  Wish me luck!

 And the good news: this weekend we move the clocks ahead by an hour.
 
Thank you for reading along...  

                                             Cultivate your dreams, girlfriends. 
                                                  They really do come true!

                                                 







5 comments:

Kim said...

Your watercolours and sketches are a treat for the eyes, Dixie. Love those snowdrops and your watercolour blot test is fabulous. I see a beautiful flower. Your ocean painting is wow oh wow, and looks like much fun was to be had in creating this. Yes, seeing ferns in the woods/bush is a joy. I too feel they lift the spirit. May those winter snows quickly dissipate and allow Spring to visit you for a while and cast it's beauty at your place. "A bevy of Sweet Peas" sounds heaven.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Kim.
I did have a good time with the ocean abstract. Swirling paint about is fun, and so different and liberating from my usual detailed style.
O, spring. We are all waiting for it. Me with just a bit more patience than I normally have. Not sure how that happened. :^)


AppleApricot Wen said...

So much gorgeousness in one post, Dixie! Your paintings are stunning, I love those beautiful snowdrops and that ocean, wow! And beautiful stamp you created.
Do you still have snow? We're having rain now, after weeks of ice cold but sunny weather. Can't wait to see the woods full of beautiful ferns again!
Wishing you a beautiful week, big hugs xx

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Wen,

Thank you!
Yes, we have a lot of snow still, but the days are warming up, and I often hear that drip, drop sound that makes me smile.
The ferns really are a wonder!
I hope we have a cool spring because that usually gives us a bumper crop of wildflowers too.
Enjoy the week...xo

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

We have been moving slowly northbound but it will be a few more years before we can truly be northern folks :) I love snowdrops too! The painting is beautiful, Dixie, as are your stamps. Love the blue ink you are using for the stamps and The Ocean looks amazing! The sketch and the wash are sweet and playful! That is a very pretty yarn. I hope you are taking it easy during knitting :) Your tiptoeing into the woods to stare at green ferns made me smile. Simply adorable!!

-Soma xx