". Arranged Words: Watercolour Skies

22 Jan 2019

Watercolour Skies


                               "Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet."
                                                                  Stephen Hawking

 The other day, I stood still in the woods until my hands got very cold, staring at a changing water colour sky. Looks like a light indigo, or French ultramarine and a light phthalocyanine blue. Gorgeous!

This morning I was up before dawn, hoping to catch a glimpse of Venus and Jupiter in the eastern sky. It was worth it!
 I also wanted to watch the recent eclipse of the moon, but the weather had other snowy plans.


               And the sign says: Do not fed the wildlife. It's clearly overlooked and overruled.


More gift tags. Some people also use them as bookmarks. They are time consuming to make, but I love to paint them. I think it has a lot to do with the colours.

                                                      A bevy of Easter colours. Tres uplifting!

                                        I've also been painting tulips this week.

I am not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I am currently forcing tulips and snowdrops. I've never seen a real live snowdrop. I can't wait! The bulbs are in a neighbor's extra fridge because they can be cooled anywhere near fruit; that creates ethylene gas and that impedes flower development.
I've got my fingers crossed!

On the needles...


                        Beginning a pair of socks. Pattern Lydia Bennet Secret Stockings
from Jane Austen Knits magazine 2011. Yarn from Tanis Fiber Arts.  I love the picot edging.

                                                     Thank you for reading along.

                                                 'Til next time...Cultivate Your Dreams!

13 comments:

Kim said...

Your watercolour skies are magical, Dixie; actually your wintry wonderland is magical. Early morning walks are always filled with wonder. The painting of the Tulip is lovely and your tags/bookmarks are a wash of pretty diluted colour....love the sweet little birdie cutout. How exciting to perhaps see your first Snowdrop! Fingers crossed it performs for you. Some more lovely socks on those needles of yours...the picot edging is pretty. It is so delightful to visit your beautiful corner of the world♥

Anonymous said...

Hi Dixie:

Happy New Year. I love your blog, the lovely tulips, can't wait to see the socks finished. Such good advice by Stephen Hawking! I have the most beautiful white Amaryllis that I got on sale for $ 3.99, all bent over in the nearly broken box. Oh my you should see it now, tall and straight and gorgeous. White flowers have always been my favourite. I also have a white Poinsettia as well as a deep red one. I have a ton of yarn to make a number of Prayer Shawls, one for a friend who lives in Calgary in mauve (never made one in that colour), purple and white to give the mauve softness and depth. Love, Joannie

Lorraine said...

The skies can be so beautiful - you're quote is right on point, keep looking up! Love those bookmark/tags with the beautiful colors and the birds. I've only ever tried paperwhites for forcing - good luck with your bulbs.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

They do look like watercolour skies. So beautiful! I think 1/2 my life I have spent looking up at the sky. Lovely wispy gift tags. I would use them as bookmarks, matching the mood of the book. Soft tulip too. You have picked a beautiful shade for those socks. Can't wait to see more.

-Soma

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your sky photos are stunning and I love your painted gift tags :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Joan. A white Amaryllis sounds lovely!I don't think I've ever seen a white Poinsettia. I will be looking next year. Sometime ago, I saw a lot of white flowers in the moonlight. So beautiful!
A mauve Prayer Shawl will be pretty. I do like mauve, but rarely see it these days.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you,Kim.
I checked on the Snowdrops, but had to dig down and did see a green shoot. Apparently it will be awhile yet.
I do love early mornings too. So peaceful and full of wonder.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you for your kind words and for your visit, Lorraine.
Paperwhites are beautiful too. I've had a lot of success with Paperwhites. It's fun growing them in water with stones for support.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

A good place to look up to, Soma. Pardon the pun, but I couldn't help it.:)
Last year the sky was marvelous..so many different looks..from the fierce to the peaceful.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Janine.
I've been having fun taking pics of winter skies and also splashing paint around.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I am so glad you linked this post on Wandering Camera! Thank You! LOVE those skies. You should paint it. Pastels or watercolour, either one would work :)

-Soma

Angie said...

Amazed at the colors and that you can give them names! Clearly color is your bag, as aptly demonstrated by the tags. Looking forward to pictures of the flowers you are forcing. Spring awaits!

betty-NZ said...

Your artwork is awesome as I am quite partial to pastels! Love the sky shots, too. There is so much beauty above us.