". Arranged Words: Musings

5 Feb 2019

Musings

Desktop troop.
 As can see, I bought a few more pottery pieces over the summer. At the flea market, they have a retro pottery booth that I admire. Besides having many wonderful pieces, the people who run it are so friendly and helpful. I only wish I had room for more. Perhaps a six foot Ikea shelf would do it, but no, really, it's time to jettison a few things. Have "A spring clean for the May Queen." Led Zeppelin

( The two pieces of pottery to the right are West German. The blue one is a second that I picked up somewhere.)

It's helpful to lay out your paint in the same order.

I had a question about paint. Specifically what watercolour paint do I use? The answer: several brands, but my go to is tubed Sennelier.

The binder in Sennelier is honey and it adds to the smoothness and enhances the richness of the colours. I also use Schmincke half pans, Windsor and Newton and I have random tubes of Daniel Smith, PWC etc. In other words a lot of paint. But that happens when you like something: the ever growing stash. However, I will try to pare down my art supplies that I won't use in the spring clean too. Well, perhaps. Having said that I already feel a pang of greedy horror. ;^) As you know, it's difficult to part with certain things. For me it's books, yarn and art supplies. 💕


 I prefer mixing my own colours, but I don't always do so. Although magic happens when you mix a few colours together and come up with say apricot/orange, green, brown etc. But there are so many gorgeous colours to choose from, and you can also easily buy what you like. Or if you want to experiment and start small, you can begin with the primaries and mix your own colours. That way you can find the paint that works for you for less money.


If I am mixing a lot of one colour, I mix a large amount in a bigger dish. In this case a dollar store candle holder. And work from that mixture to lighten or darken a colour because it can be difficult, although not impossible, ( I'll let you know when I can do it.) to mix the same colour twice.


I had fun with these acrylic colours. Very different colours from what I normally use.

***

***


Back to the drawing board...

Have a wonderful week.
'Til next time...lovely people.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dixie: I'm always fascinated that you learned to paint later in life, and just keep 'growing' in skill. I just finished crocheting a magnificent Prayer Shawl in lavender and purple. It was for a friend who moved to Calgary to live with her family, after the death of her husband here in Windsor. I'm still astonished how the prayer shawl and person come together 'like a glove', and making it gives me so much joy. Just as your knitting and painting bring both you and others joy. Love, Joannie

Kim said...

Did you pay extra for the Tarantula?? =) Oh my, I do see an alien. Such a fascinating artwork, Dixie. I always associate you with pretty birds and flowers and all beautiful things, blue. Loving seeing this other you.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I LOVE your brushes stored in your beautiful pottery collection, Dixie! As we already exchange emails over our paint-addiction, I will only say this - How are you ever going to part ways with your art supplies whether you use them or not :) Oh My! The little birdie on the leaves look so sweet and proud at the same time. The acrylic abstract is amazing, great colours. The socks are going to be gorgeous. EEEK! A tarantula! I am not afraid of spiders but even I would run from that one. Glad you didn't find it somewhere else in your home.

-Soma

betty-NZ said...

When it comes to something that you really love, it's extremely difficult to 'cull'! Good luck with that! I do like your paintings and I hope the socks work out--they will be so pretty!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Joannie. Painting was something I always dreamed of doing. Now I can say yes, Virginia dreams do come true! But I will add that it takes a lot of work too. Curiosity helps drives the process. I was blessed with a lot of that. So reading and learning about art always brings me joy!
If you have a picture of your prayer shawls, I'd love to see them. What a lovely thing to do, Joannie. I am certain they are much appreciated and, no doubt, give a lot of comfort.
Love,
Dixie xo

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I do love pottery. Would love to know how to make it. I am interested in so many things, but that,I think, makes the world go around.:)
I am not afraid of spiders, but a tarantulas are another matter entirely.
Run!
Thank you for your lovely comments, Soma.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Betty.
I did take paper to the trading post and left with nothing. But paint, well, that would be another matter. Best left,I reckon, for stronger folk than me. :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

He's a stowaway, Kim. I did just found out that the plant hails from Hawaii and is called "The Rabbit's Foot Fern." Changes ones thoughts a little. :)
But the plant is creepy.
Aliens are fun. Thanks so much!