". Arranged Words: Summer Escapades ~ Part 1

7 Sept 2021

Summer Escapades ~ Part 1

                                                             
                                                         Loosestrife in the Marshlands
 Hi there,

Since my last post, I've made another trip around the sun. Travel onboard terra firma; it's a marvelous world!

 I do hope everyone enjoyed a lovely summer, or winter. Thankfully, summer’s not quite over.


I did visit my usual haunts, but I certainly would have enjoyed a few more outings. But somehow when out walking, I twisted my foot and developed Plantar Fasciitis. I have no idea how athletes keep on the move with it. Obviously, they have superb medical expertise at hand. I hope to be on the move soon though; I do have lost time to make up for.

                                                                             A selfie.

   I love being outside for what I call my restorative nature therapy. I always feel renewed and refreshed     after a day, or even an hour, out in the heart of the beauty that surrounds us. 

The Loosestrife looks like Fireweed. If you really stretch your imagination, you can imagine lavender fields in Provence, France. According to Wikipedia, Bulgaria produces the most lavender. Who knew?


                                                   Peaches and Cream corn fields




Someone told me about this sunflower field, so I went on a little excursion to another town. Standing near the sunflowers, I found myself thinking about Van Gogh. I wonder what he would think about his sunflower painting selling for 39 million in 1987.


I hoped the farmer was the benevolent type, although my imagination conjured up an angry farmer with a shotgun in hand yelling at me to get off his land. Undaunted and with wonky footing, I stealthy crept into the field. I mean who could resist. 




                                                                          Busy Bee
    
Bees are a favourite creatures of mine. I've been out to the hives with a beekeeper a few times. 
Sometime ago I took a bee keeping course and would love to tend hives. These days I would need an assistant. A full super of honey can weigh up to 90 lbs.

A bit about bees. Bees navigate using landmarks and/or the sun. In the early spring, the scout bees fly out on a mission to find a supply of flowers. If they find them, they fly back to the hive and do a dance. The dance gives the worker bees the exact coordinates of that supply of nectar and pollen. In the summer, they air condition their hives to a precise temps required to raise the brood by fanning their wings that have drops of cool water that they have gathered on them. Easier done if they have afternoon shade, but, unfortunately, the proper placement of hives doesn't always happen. The queen bee, besides laying eggs non stop, controls the hive's activities with her pheromones. There’s much more to tell, but it’s time to move on.
Like many people, I am concerned about the bees; I wish they were treated better. They are such amazing creatures.

Here's a link for info and for a list of the many crops bees pollinate. 


The sky here looks so white. I've toned down the picture so you can look at it without wearing sunglasses. Actually, that's smoke from the many forest fires (over 100) that were burning in Northern Ontario at the time. Like many parts of the world, Canada has had a summer of extremes. In British Columbia, at one point, the temperatures were hotter than they were in Death Valley. On the B.C coast mussels fried on the rocks. Temperatures reached 49.6C or 121.28 F. It boggles the mind.



A late blooming wild rose. I wish you could smell it. Glorious!

                                                                         * * *

     Off the drawing board...





While clearing out my desk, I happened upon this wee birdie that I drew long ago; she was destined for the bin. I did manage to salvage it by pumping up the colour and adding the wee fly to cover a splotch of paint. (Sometimes the brush has a mind of its own; amazingly it can flip out of your hand and twirl about in the air and hit the paper with an unceremonious splat.)

While not much is happening on Etsy, a friend of mine knows someone who owns a shop, so some of my cards and prints will be available there next week. That makes me happy.

In other news, the local art group will be starting their regular meetings next week. (Social distancing, both vaccines and masks apply.) 
Also, the group hopes to have an art show at the mall in November. I have a few pieces of art to frame for the show. I can buy a ready made mat and frame for one, but two more will require a professional touch. (Mat cutters and I do not see eye to eye.) I love how the shops finish the back too.




Using up my scraps of paper. The top painting: pastel and then two watercolours.

'Til next time...

Cultivate Your Dreams

Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. Do drop by for a visit; there’s much to see.

  Thank you, ladies, for hosting.






62 comments:

Kim said...

How beautiful your summer world is, Dixie. So many lovely vignettes you have shown us. The Loosestrife does conjure up images of lavender fields in Provence, and oh how magnificent those sunflowers are! I am glad you lived to tell the tale of your adventure. Bees are magnificent aren't they? We are host to what seems millions of bees every spring and summer. Just doing our bit to help the world. =) As ever your paintings are lovely. I particularly love the morning glory one. Fabulous you can now meet together with your local art group after such a long time. Fabulous too, you are going to participate in an art show. It seems as if life is opening up there. I am sorry to read about your foot. It does sound painful; hopefully, with each day it heals.

NCSue said...

Gorgeous photos, Dixie! What a lovely view in every one. And I, too, wish I could smell the wild rose!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/09/going-buggy-in-our-yard.html

Tom said...

... Loosestrife may be an attractive flower, but it's terribly invasive weed!!! Sunflowers are one of the joys of summer.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love all your photos - amazing flowers and art - thank you for sharing the beautiful rays of inspiration!

Suzana said...

What a beautiful trip and amazing photos! Thank you for sharing them.
Lovely sunflowers! And that rose is similar with those for jam!
The watercolors look so happy!

Have a beautiful September and a huge inspiration.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Dixie - I love your little bird! I'm like you into restorative nature therapy I feel we all need it after the past 18 months! I hope you are on the mend now and glad to see you were able to visit the sunflower fields I loved the video to have a virtual wander with you!
Thank you for stopping by my blog for a little peep into life in Thailand,
Wren x

Lady Fi said...

What lovely shots. Sunflowers are so cheery, aren't they? And happy belated birthday.

Irma said...

What beautiful photos.
The video of the sunflowers is also beautiful.
Greetings Irma

Veronica Lee said...

Love these fabulous photos of your summer world, Dixie.

LOL @ your selfie. Good one!

Margaret D said...

Hoping your foot improves and you are not out of action for too long, I presume you are thinking similar.
The flowers are beautiful and your watercolour gorgeous, well done.

mvmaithai said...

You are so talented! I love your pictures and your artwork. I planted a few sunflower seeds this spring and only one came up; the flowers were beautiful. I will plant more next year. Love lavender, but this year, it didn't do too well. My begonias bloomed profusely; kinda reminded me of Butchart Garden.

Looking forward to reading more of your post....

Sara Chapman in Seattle USA said...

That morning glory is phenomenal. Love the sunflowers. What would Van Gogh think, indeed?

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Loved your little walk around, there is nothing like a little nature therapy to calm you. We have a few sunflowers growing around here but I have never come across a field of them

Christine said...

Lovely photos and art!

BLOGitse said...

Our summer is almost gone. Your beautiful photos and paintings made me smile and remember the wonderful summer.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful photos and art. Nature shows us so much beauty, it's always a joy to get out and see everything. Happy PPF, Valerie

Jean said...

Beautiful photos! Your paintings are gorgeous! That purple flower is exquisite! Happy PPF!

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely artwork ~ so elegant and great photos too! Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Linda Kunsman said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos Dixie!! Nature certainly does restore the soul...
love your sweet bird drawing and the flowers are lovely. Happy PPF!

WendyK said...

Wonderful photos of the flower fields and some lovely paintings. My favourite is the morning glory.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful 😍

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful photos, love sunflowers.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Who would not be brought to think of Van Gogh with those stunning sunflower fields. You've made beautiful art with those scraps, your painting skills are fantastic.
Happy PPF Tracey

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your big bold sunflowers and accompanying video. So many lovely snippets of your Summer. Wonderful share.
Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much💖love

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

NatureFootstep said...

except for the corn your nature could me mine. :)
Love your drawings. Especially the first one with the bird.

EricaSta said...

Indeed ... what a lovely summertime there. The nature let us forget other terrible things around us.

I like your artwork, each are fine drawings.

Happy MosaicMonday

Angie said...

Dixie - welcome back to Mosaic Monday! I used to have plantar fasciitis from running, and I solved it overnight with inserts in my shoes. The field of sunflowers is amazing, but your watercolor of the morning glory is a knock-out!

Gillena Cox said...

Happy Monday. I am #18 on today's Mosaic linky

much❤love

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The sunflowers are really gorgeous and I love your art! I agree that nature restores us too!

DVArtist said...

This is s stunning post.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Kim,
I am happy to hear that you have many bees buzzing about your gardens. That's wonderful!
First time I was ever in a sunflower field. Lovely!
A new doctor told me all the ligaments and tendons are torn, so, apparently, it's not Plantar Fasciitis. For now, I will just have to stop and smell the roses awhile longer while reading books, drinking copious amounts of tea; time also to enjoy deck life and long drives.
Thank you so much, Kim.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I appreciate your hosting Sue.
Thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

They have waged war on it a few times, but, as you know, it's almost impossible to
get rid of. They seem to feel cattails are worse. I will have to check that out.
I agree. Sunflowers do turn heads--even their own. :) Wonderful flowers!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you Carol for your lovely comments.
Best Wishes to you...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Suzana.
I used to make rose hip syrup; delightful on ice cream. I've never tried making
the jam. I bet it's tasty.
Thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Yes, I agree. So nice to be out and about.
It looks wonderful there in Thailand. Ahhh..wonderful breezes and gorgeous flowers, and beauty all around.
Thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you Lady Fi.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Irma.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I am a little shy about selfies, but those kind work well. :)
Thanks Veronica

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I hope to be out there soon.
Many thanks, Margaret.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Oh, the Butchart Gardens are lovely! I was there many years ago and I will never forget it.
My begonias did well this year too.
Thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Sara.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Billy

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Many thanks, Christine.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Yes, summer went by in a flash it seems. Looking forward to a beautiful autumn though.
Thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It is wonderful to be out there in all seasons, but spring, summer and autumn are
my favourite times of year.
Best Wishes

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Jean.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you Carol.
Love your slogan...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

It is such a pleasure to be out there. I always find much to marvel at.
Thank you, Linda.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Wendy.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

A big thank you!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Much appreciated.
Enjoy your week.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Oh, thank you so much, Tracey.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Always fun to stop by Gillena.
Thank you.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

We are sort of in Canada's corn belt here.
Thank you so much.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Yes, nature does shake a lot of worries off the mind. It keeps me in the present moment.
Thank you.
Best Wishes

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Angie,
Many thanks for hosting. The doctor tells me all the tendons and ligaments are torn, so apparently no PF as first diagnosed. It will heal...just needs a little more time.
I do love Morning Glories. Thank you so much!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

On my way over for a visit.
Thank you and much love back to you, Gillena.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Nature really does make a difference. There's always new things to see too.
Small miracles happen out there.
Thank you.
Best Wishes...

Sylvia said...

Dixie, Thanks for sharing the video of the sunflowers! My favorite. Love the paintings. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Gorgeous landscapes!! I am so sorry and surprised to hear that there were wildfires in Canada. Love the colour of Loosestrife, and the field of sunflowers with the tree behind it is just amazing. Beautiful paintings. I am so glad the sweet wee birdie did not end up in the bin. Cards in a shop - that's amazing, Dixie!! Congratulations!

-Soma