". Arranged Words: Spring Light

22 Mar 2022

Spring Light

 

Hi Everyone,

What a difference a week makes. Only patches of snow left now. I've been listening but haven't heard the robins sing yet. Since the lawns are free of snow, I am sure that will happen soon. It always makes me happy to hear the birds sing.

My new computer lost a RAM card, so with only 4 gigs of RAM I hope to be able to finish this post. Sometimes it works okay and at other times it fails. 

The company wants the RAM back so they can check the card. I expected them to send me another card while waiting. However, all my protesting fell on deaf ears. ("The lady doth protest too much." Shakespeare) The old card will be off to Toronto today via snail mail. Not the best service in the land. But all will, no doubt, work out well in the end.     

Ice to the left. 

 After a long winter, it's more than wonderful--celebratory, in fact, to feel and see the strong light of the sun.



             Many years ago, I started to notice a fish on certain church steeples. I was intrigued. Finally, it dawned on me. Must have been all those Sunday school lessons. I thought of Jesus as the fisher of men.
But I did find this too: When Jesus was waking by the sea of Galilee he saw Simon and Andrew casting nets. He said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:18-19.
                           
                                       Beautiful blue                                        

           Making more watercolour backgrounds to draw on. Using salt to add texture.







Pastel on Pastel mat paper. Apparently, velour paper works best for fine detail.

 Anyway, it was a fun project. (I could not blend her hair. Who knows maybe patchy hair will become fashionable. :) 
I will, at some point, give this painting a go on velour paper.

The reddish brown in her hair is from the pastel bits I've been saving and grounded down, added a bit of water to and formed into a new pastel stick. I was expecting a neutral colour, but I guess there was a lot of orange in the mix.

Until next time…

Cultivate Your Dreams

Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

The parties cover most of the globe; there’s much to see and admire, so do stop in for a few visits. 

                                          Sending my special thanks to the hosts.









                                                             



24 comments:

Kim said...

How wonderful the snow is all but melted. I must say I have never seen fish on church steeples before; how interesting. I Love this! The shading on the girl pastel looks fabulous, Dixie. Enjoy your Spring.

Jeanie said...

Isn't it nice to see the snow easing (and gone, at least here where I live in mid-Michigan). And love the painting too. My friend just gave me a lovely porcelain palette and plan to spend this rainy afternoon playing in paint again.

Have a lovely week!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm not at all artistic -- someone has to be an admirer and that is my role -- and I definitely DO! Thanks for the talent share. I did once take a pour-painting class (I think that's one step above paint-by-number) and did a square and some tiles with the sunshine colors you blended as a background to draw on. Happy colors! I've seen the fish symbol on license plates, bumper stickers and even on doors -- I understood it to be a symbol of a Christian home or maybe a charitable person or organization ??? (from the loaves and fishes parable. But that might be a total guess on my part, I can't actually remember reading anything about it. It's definitely a symbol anyone can draw. Even me.

Villrose said...

Nice to see spring is coming! I hope to see a difference next week. But I hear the birds singing :)

Peabea Scribbles said...

Beautiful work. The watercolor salt sounds intriguing. Great photos. Love the painting. To me looks fine with the hair as is. :)

Kym said...

so interesting about the fish on the church steeples!

Yvonne said...

Now days, all sorts of symbols can be put on a weathervane, so who knows. I think your pastel is very radiant. It is pleasant to look upon. Saving old pieces of pastel to make new sticks goes a step further than I would ever do. You are so dedicated and very talented. Hope your RAM card is replaced soon. Take care.

Suzana said...

What a difference! I hope Spring arrived!
Lovely arrangement on your table.
Be inspired and be well!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Salt texturing is so much fun! I like your brush holder. I rather like her reddish brown hair. She looks lovely!

-Soma

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad the snow is almost gone. Spring is lovely here. Hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

Beautiful art!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Indeed amazing how the landscape changes when the snow disappears, birdsong is a beautiful thing we have House Sparrows nesting in our eaves and hear them chattering away at all times of the day, so delightful.
I love your pastel lady surrounded by those spring time flowers, a wonderful share for the last PPF. Creative wishes Tracey x

My name is Erika. said...

What a fabulous spring pastel drawing. Isn't this season so exciting, watching winter go away and nature begin again? Thanks for sharing this with us at Art Journal JOurney for Valerie's challenge. And hope your RAM arrives sooner rather than later for your computer. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's wonderful when the snow is nearly gone and spring bulbs start to peek through.

You have a great command of watercolors and your lady with the spring flowers is spectacular. She is a gem as a pastel. Thanks for sharing it with us at Art Journal Journey using Valerie's theme.

Gillena Cox said...

Ive never used salt in watercolour texturing. Will give that a try. You art us lovely.
Ah yes the fish symbolises Jesus. Nice photo.

Thanks for dropping by and linkibg up at Art For Fun Friday.
Hope you will drop by again next Friday

Much💜love

Su-sieee! Mac said...

You’ve taught me so much in your post, thank you very much. I shall try the salt trick and making pastels out of leftovers. Patchy hair is perfect in my eyes. :-)

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

very pretty art

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Our recent snow has almost all melted although we can still have snowfall her until late May. Your watercolor backgrounds and pastel portrait are very pretty. Doing art id very calming.

Angie said...

Dixie - your pastel lady reminded me of Barbra Streisand - beautiful! I spent several hours in my garden today - the sun was lovely and warm!!! Enjoy your week ahead, and thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Your art is delightful! We are all ready for all things Spring! Enjoy your week! Oh and I think she looks a lot like Barbra too! WOW!

Gillena Cox said...

Hope your computer woes are resolved soon.
Happy Monday. I am at 16 on the linky

Much💜love

riitta k said...

The spring light feels wonderful indeed! We have still snow left but the days are sunny. Your pastel is beautiful.

Sharon Wagner said...

I like that: cultivate your dreams. What a great way to end a post.

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much💜love