". Arranged Words: Splashes of Colour

15 Mar 2022

Splashes of Colour

 

Hi Everyone,

We are still in the white world of winter. But the robins, who herald spring in this part of the world, have arrived early--some on the second of March. There are a few berries left on the trees, and with a helping hand raisins should help feed them until the snow melts and the lawns have, once again, become good worm hunting ground.

Impossible to write a post without acknowledging Ukraine and its courageous people and their fearless leader, Zelensky. What a heartbreaking, senseless tragedy. Call me naive but, like many people, I had hoped that war would be a thing of the past in this century, but, alas, when empire building and greed are involved it's not to be. 

Recently, there was a post on Instagram about a young woman who, trying to escape the war, walked for 27K with what looked like a heavy bag of essentials and her old German Shepherd dog draped over her shoulder. I assume he was too old to walk, and she said she wasn't going to leave him behind. Now that's love and determination. What a powerful combination. I believe that's what Ukrainians carry in their hearts: love and determination for their people and their country. 

Words can't express the sorrow I feel for the people of Ukraine. And also for the young Russian soldiers who were surprised and scared to find themselves in the throes of war. Also there are many Russian citizens who do not want this war, citizens, who have the courage to protest no matter what the cost. Like countless others, I am hoping and praying this horrific war will end soon. And that peace, love and justice will prevail.


National Flower of Ukraine

                     Along the river taken earlier this year. Most of the river has frozen over. I've never seen that happen so far down the river before.                       

 
 
   Inside gardening, with the wee gardening kit I received for Christmas. The lettuce was tasty, but I didn't have any luck with the Bok Choy. As you can see, the leaves are yellowing. 
In the back soaking up the excess light a fern and a Shamrock.

                            

                                                      A Primrose helps brightens up the place.

    
 
With the world still draped in white, I find I long for colour. It can be found. 
 
The clocks went ahead an hour on Sunday, so more daylight hours should soon make short work of the snow.

 * * * 

Off the easel:

                                                  Lone Pine. Pastel on paper. Approx. 10" x 13.5"       

                                                        

                             Lately, I've been experimenting with acrylics. Fun to paint flowers in acrylic on                                                               wee 4" x 4" canvases.

                                                                Cultivate Your Dreams                                                           

                                        Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

The parties cover most of the globe; there’s much to see and admire, so do stop in for a few visits. 

                                                        Sending my special thanks to the hosts.


33 comments:

Villrose said...

Sunflowers suddenly got a meaning.
It is too sad to think about.

Kim said...

There is always lovely colour on your easel, Dixie, even though it is a wintry landscape there. The pink acrylic painting is beautiful. Those yellow primroses are cheery. The story of the young woman walking 27K with her old German Shepherd over her shoulders has touched my heart. There are so many inspiring stories of the courage of the Ukraine people. Let us hope and pray that wise and rational heads prevail. Hoping that the colours of spring are blooming everywhere in your little place, very soon, Dixie.

Kym said...

The paintings are beautiful - very nice! And I love the bright yellow of the primrose.
Stopping by from Peabea's link-up

Veronica Lee said...

The paintings are fantastic!

The sunflower is my favourite flower.

Hootin Anni said...

Yes, I will never see a sunflower as "just a blossom". It now resonates defiance, courage, and of course heartbreak.

I also love to paint & sketch so seeing your art work was a special treat.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Sunflowers are so pretty.
Yes, wars are terrible.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Kim.
Warmer spring temps are filling the air; I am loving the longer days.
True so many remarkable stories coming out of Ukraine.
It would be beyond wonderful to hear the war has ended.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Kym,
Thank you so much.
Primroses are lovely. I used to have them down a walk way.
Very cherry!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Veronica.
I love sunflowers too.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

So true about the sunflowers.
Thank you, Anni.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Your painting are beautiful.
So tragic what is happening in Ukraine, its unthinkable, and utterly heartbreaking for all those poor people. Keeping them in my prayers
Jillxo

Suzana said...

Beautiful images and paintings, Dixie!
I pray for the end of the war. I hope that there are still intelligent people who will find solutions to make peace!
All the best and inspiration!

Jeanie said...

Your words are so eloquent, Dixie. I can feel spring in your world. And yes, Ukraine. Each day my heart breaks a wee bit more. Like you, I was naive. Your comments about this are so thoughtful and poignant. Thank you.

Thanks also for your visit to Marmelade Gypsy today. It was lovely to see you there.

Seeing your beautiful painting reminds me it is time to get my paints out. It has been too long. The paintings in my Covid journal (a couple posts back) were done over the past couple of years. Not the only one by any means, but it is time to do much more.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

War is so heartbreaking, can't believe that we are seeing this in 2022. I am sure to be in the minority, but I do love the gentle colours of your first and the river photos. Beautiful photos and paintings, Dixie!!

Jenn Jilks said...

These are such lovely pieces!
Yes, the war is horrible. It is awful what a former KGB agent can do to ordinary people. He lives in a weird world.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely 'off the easel' artwork and great photos too ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Beautiful art!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Colour has so much more meaning against a white backdrop, the eye does search harder for it. Stunning off the easel pastel work and I do love your work in acrylic. I too love painting flowers with it. I will miss your Paint party artwork, so inspiring.
Wishing you a Happy Paint Party Friday, I do hope our path will cross again in blogland.
Hugs Tracey xx

Linda Kunsman said...

Wonderful art projects Dixie. Your post about Ukraine is very touching, and I know none of us will see the sunflower the same way again...
happy PPF, and I'll see you on IG:)

Kristin Dudish said...

This is a lovely post, Dixie. Your paintings are beautiful and I'm so glad you've shared your art with PPF. (I'm also glad we can stay in touch on Instagram.)

Maria Medeiros said...

Absolutely beautifuL!!!

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful shots and art. Love the windy tree on the little island :)

riitta k said...

The situation in Ukraine is terrible. I read and read the news and cannot understand the evil. The sunflower is encouraging and your paintings beautiful. No signs of spring in Finland either.

Gillena Cox said...

Hoping and praying thay peace and stability will be restored soon. Suddenly sunflowers mean so much more than big bright heads.

Enjoyed your art in acrylics

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Although PPF has ended. I hope you will vist and link at my blog some Fridays

Much💜love

Amila said...

Sunflowers are cheerful and colourful. Hope there will be peace again.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My maternal grandparents immigrated to the US from Ukraine so I feel much sadness for the suffering of this unjust and criminal war.
Our area is also still very snowy--spring does not arrive here until May

Angie said...

Dixie - welcome back to Mosaic Monday! I saw our first Robin today - so appropriate for the first day of Spring! Your Shamrock plant is lovely. You wrote so eloquently about Ukraine - I agree with everything you wrote!

EricaSta said...

Your paintings are amazing. Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reading.
Happy MosaicMonday

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love seeing your art too and sunflowers have always been a beautiful flower but has special meaning now. Enjoy your week!

Gillena Cox said...

Happy to see you at Monday mosiac. I am at 13 of the linky. Have a good week

Much💜love

Little Wandering Wren said...

I can picture the lady with her old dog, I have been shielded the last few days without access to the news it is just so sad, I agree with all you have written.
Your Christmas gardening kit was a great idea - here's to bright, pretty primroses!
Have a creative week
Wren x

Tom said...

...at the moment we need to search for color, spring will change that quickly.

EVA said...

Well said Dixie and two lovely creations! Thanks so much for partying with us at PPF!
xoxo
EVA