". Arranged Words: Touched by Spring

24 Apr 2018

Touched by Spring

A bit of green along the edge of the trail. O, and that sky blue!
The much anticipated and wholly appreciated spring season has arrived. In just a few days, nature has thrown of its icy cloak. It has been touched by the sun, and it has responded in celebration.

Now the days are radiant with sunlight and bird song, and I can't possibly express how delighted that makes me feel. The longed for radiance of the sun brings with it a heightened sense of freedom, wonder, and, well, just plain old joy. As heard below, that joy trickles down to every level of the awakening world.

Love's chorus.

Trillium  shoots. 
From what I can see, we may, if it stays cool, (although so far it's been quite warm) have a bumper crop of Trillium this year.

           Reaching for the light. I love the texture, form, and stripped bark on this sycamore.

 I'd like to paint the blue shadows and textures of the birch.
                                            From the eye of the birch. "Here's looking at you kid."

 In the marsh, the ravenous, spry squirrels and chipmunks are scurrying about. The red wing blackbird courts a mate with his flat off key song, the geese are honking merrily and even their quieter cousins the ducks are honking along as they fly overhead. And if all that isn't enough, you can smell spring in the air.



And the willows, the willows are blushing too because it's all brand new.

 * * * 


Sometimes a painting just doesn't work out. Might be a colour issue, a spill, an over reach for the high bar of perfection. (I'm learning to get over it and just paint. After all enjoyment is the name of the game.) So, if unsavory things happen, I now cut out whatever is salvageable and fashion unconventional bookmarks. I will tuck them into cards etc.


A second painting of the Snowdrops on lovely 300lb Moulin du Roy paper. White flowers are a challenge.  However, I like the lighter grey I used this time around. (A mix of permanent rose and viridian green.)


* * *

Before I sprint off to the drawing board, I'll leave you with a few spring quotes.



"It's spring fever. That's what the name of it is. And when you've got it you want--oh, you quite don't know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache you want it so."

Mark Twain

"Behold, my friends, the spring is come; the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun, and we shall soon see the results of their love." -- Sitting Bull

"Come forth into the light of things. Let nature be your teacher."

William Wordsworth 
 
'Til next time...Cultivate your dreams...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Dixie. I love each picture and the drawing of the Snowdrops is especially dear. The White or Cedar Birch is one of my favourite trees. When I lived in Northern Ontario, our half acre property was covered with Birch. I had a Trillium in my garden, but it has disappeared along with most of my Tulips. I know squirrels love Tulips, though uncertain about the Trillium loss. Love, Joannie

Lorraine said...

Don't you love it when it hits you with almost all the senses. I love your love chorus and so does Kirby our cockatiel. Maybe some distant relatives of his. Oh to have trillium..... very rare around here.

Kim said...

So, so happy for you that Spring has decided to come to you at last. Love the glorious chorus of the birdsong. Your painting of the Snowdrops is exquisite and I love the quirky shape of your bookmark. I would say a most glorious 'mistake' if you ask me. Enjoy those Spring days, lovely Dixie.