". Arranged Words: A Trek

28 Jan 2020

A Trek

Jan 28/20


Because of  freezing rain, I haven't been out to the woods for about a month. And I‘ve been wondering about the birds.
At the entrance to the marsh, I called out and the chickadees and nuthatches quickly flew to the feeding area. They remembered me, and, my, they were very hungry. 



A beautiful, moody afternoon sky.

Recently, I was looking through my photos of the Yukon Territory. For a few years, we lived in the Yukon in a house nestled down near a lake, where I could hear, as I lay in my bed, the plaintive call of the loons. We drove there from Calgary, Alberta along the, then, unpaved Alaska Highway.  Later we motored up the Dempster highway that begins south of Dawson City, Yk. to Inuvik, NWT. 
 Not a garage, at that time, for miles on that unpaved, potential tire-shredding shale road, so we carried full cans of gas and extra tires on the roof. With only the vast remote wilderness for company, and the trepidation welling up within because the road sometimes does double duty as a landing strip,  we slowly motored on, in intermittent fog, for hours, with thunderheads of dust rolling up behind us, without passing a car or seeing a single living thing.  (From Dawson City to Inuvik it’s a two day journey: 478.5 miles/ 742km.)  Eventually, dust bitten and weary we stopped at the halfway point in an oasis named Eagle Plains / Rat Pass. Given its remoteness, we had reservations about the place, but it turned out to be a clean and hospitable place to spend the night.
While driving the Dempster Highway you see the rugged Ogilvie and Richardson mountain ranges and, of course, the tundra where ghostly cloud shadows, driven by the wind, mysteriously track over the land. Gorgeous at any time of year, but in the fall it is absolutely breath taking. 
The pastel painting below was inspired by those photos. 


A few years later, still eager for adventure, we drove from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk along the ice road on Mackenzie River and the Arctic Ocean.  (That may be a story for another day.) I do, however, feel fortunate to have made that trip, because the ice road has recently been replace by a highway.

Happy trails. 'Til next time...

Cultivate Your Dreams 


I am linking to: 
World Tuesday
Friday Bliss


19 comments:

Kim said...

The road leading to that most glorious destination does sound filled with anxious moments, but oh my, what beauty awaited you. Your descriptive language of the trip is beautiful. Your words have made me feel as if I was a passenger in the car with you, feeling a gamut of emotions. Such splendorous country. Such an amazing painting, Dixie.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wow, that does sound remote. A beautiful pastel!

Powell River Books said...

I have wonderful memories of flying in our Piper Arrow throughout Canada. We flew to Inuvik and on the way went north beyond the DEW Line and up to the Arctic Ocean. We visited Dawson City and Tugluktuk on the Arctic Ocean. It's such beautiful country. - Margy

Elkes Lebensglück said...

It's a beautiful country. Your painted picture of it is wonderful. This is an artwork!!!
I wish you a nice time, Elke

betty-NZ said...

My what an adventure! One of the things I love about New Zealand is that it's so small but mostly uncongested, so any help you might need is not far away.
Your painting is just magical to see with its wonderful colors :)

Thanks for making 'My Corner of the World' a success this week!

My Corner of the World

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Did I mention I had a baby on board too. That made me a bit
more anxious, but we made it unscathed and with wonderful
memories to hold. Thank you so much beautiful, Kim.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

At that time not many people made the trip.
More travelers on those roads these days. I would love to do it all
again one day.
Thank you!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Oh that sounds like a wonderful journey too. Must be so special to own your own plane!
I love to fly in the smaller planes. We used to fly out to the remote lakes and once up and over the Arctic Ocean to Hershel Island. Great memories.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Many thanks for your comments and good wishes.
Thank you for your visit.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Oh thank you, Betty for hosting and for your lovely comments.
I'd love to visit NZ. It looks so beautiful there too.
Enjoy the week...

Powell River Books said...

It was a great time for us. The plane is gone (to a new owner) but the memories remain.

kiwikid said...

Your journey to the highway sounds amazing. Beautiful photos and art work.

riitta k said...

Your painting looks gorgeous. Yes, January has been grey & wet here too. Hope February brings more sun!

Crownandcottage said...

What a beautiful painting and it's quite an adventure driving the Dempster highway.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Made me smile to hear about the birds remembering you. Of course they recognise a friendly soul when they meet one. Call of the loons must have been so haunting. What an amazing adventure, Dixie!! LOVED reading about it. I would love to take that road one day. Gorgeous painting! Such beautiful colours.

-Soma

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I enjoyed visiting the Yukon this past summer. There is so much beauty there and your wonderful painting highlights some of it

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Riitta.
So far February has been quite sunny. Lovely!
I hope you are having sun filled days there too!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Oh it was a great adventure. I am pleased to have made it.
Thank you, Soma.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Isn't it a wonderful place!
I'd love to go back again.
Thank you, Pat.