". Arranged Words: Hope

14 Apr 2020

Hope

April 14, 2020


Hi there,

I haven't posed for sometime and since this is a diary of sorts, I will say something about what is happening in the world. It seems the world changed overnight. And here we are, a world full of people, in isolation, trying to cope with it all while striving to maintain a sense of normality. At this point, I'd like to say I do hope you and your families are all well and safe and sound.

I feel so sorry for those who are struggling, or stranded far from home, and for those who are sick and for the families who have lost their loved ones.

Like people everywhere, I hope and pray that a vaccine will soon be ready. I know that we all feel a tremendous amount of gratitude for our doctors and nurses, grocery store employees, truckers, and all essential service employees. Many essential service employees can't go home to their families until this is over. One is a friend of mine. They are brave, inspiring, and selfless.

I remembering reading somewhere that hope is a thing with wings and that hope floats ( the latter a title of a movie). I think that's true.

"Once you choose hope,
anything is possible."

Christopher Reeve


"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear."

Suzanne Collins

Sadly world emergency plans are woefully inadequate. But dwelling on that doesn't help. So I'd also like to focus on the inspiring folks who are putting hope to work by posting signs in cities and towns, offering to pick up groceries for anyone who may need help. People who give the gift of music and song and dance and praise from their balconies and door steps to uplift other people. For the people who maintain their distance in grocery stores and share with you a reassuring smile. And hats off to the man who paid for many senior citizens' groceries. And a hurray to the small business owners and other businesses who are working, or re-tooling to make respirators, masks, hand sanitizer, gowns etc. And, of course, praise goes to the researchers who are tirelessly working to find a vaccine. Good Samaritans to the core. And there are many, many more.

* * *

I began knitting this shawl back in November. There were several stops along the way.  I originally named it "The Trees of Shetland" because the designer said it represents Shetland's trees. Recently, I decided to re-name it 'Hope' because that's what I see at work in the world.  (Among other things, green represents renewal, new life, balance, and hope.)


Much larger than anything I've made before.







May hope light your way. 

Cultivate your Dreams



Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. Do drop in for a visit. Thank you ladies for hosting.


16 comments:

Kim said...

I am glad to visit you, Dixie, and see that you are well. Yes, so many beautiful stories at the moment of people helping each other and showing many kindnesses, in these tragic times. People showing their hope in action. Your shawl is beautiful. Love the lacy pattern and that shade of green with the variegated edging is so pretty. Keep well, lovely lady and please take care.

Lorraine said...

What a beautiful shawl. I love the color and the edging is so pretty. Yes, we must keep hoping for the best. Stay well friend.

Jutta.K. said...

Oh yes, we need hope all over the world!
It is bad times and we are lost without hope.
Your handiwork is great, you have my great respect for it.
Stay healthy and be greeted by
Jutta from Germany

Anonymous said...

In the film The Shawshank Redemption, Tim Robbins' character, Andy Dufresne tells Red, Morgan Freeman's character that hope is the best of things! And much more that I can't recall. Morgan Freeman was a skeptic. I actually believe that it is love that is stronger than fear. And with Gandhi that good always overcomes evil, and let's hope that really is true. I believe it is, though in the time of Trump it's difficult to hang on to! Now to your beautiful shawl, Dixie. I am a knitter and crocheter so I know how difficult this shawl had to be to make. Although blue is my favourite colour, green - sage green - is my next favourite. Thank you for this beautiful blog today, Dixie. Love, Joannie

betty-NZ said...

It's good to see you back. We all have real lives that take up time. Hope is definitely what will keep up going through this thing. And, I, too, love reading the good things that people are doing for strangers. It's very inspiring.

I'm so happy that you joined us over at at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

Veronica Lee said...

Love the shawl. So pretty!

RobertN said...

Hard times, good peoples.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your shawl is beautiful. It is a very nice design and I love the colour. You are right about hope in these troubled times and it's a perfect name for your shawl. I like to think of you walking through the countryside wrapped in hope! Stay safe :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Kim,
Thank you so much.
So nice to "see" you. I am glad that you and your husband are
doing well, too!
Best Wishes...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Lorraine.
The extra edging skein did work well thanks to the lady who owns the store.
My pick would have been a disaster, but thankfully she knew.
Safe and soundness to you and yours.
Best Wishes...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Hi Jutta,
Thank you for your lovely comments.
Hope does help so very much.
Be well and take care.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Yes, you are quite right, Joannie, hope does help people so much. The word itself is uplifting.
And, like you, I do believe good always overcomes the bad.
Many thanks.. Be well.
With love...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Betty. I am getting back in the groove of things.
I do love stopping in to see your beautiful pictures from such a glorious
part of the world.

Many thanks for hosting.
Sending you good wishes...

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Thank you, Veronica Lee.
What a lovely name!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Yes the good people are definitely out there doing good works, Robert.
It does warm the cockles of one's heart. :)
Be well!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Because of the chilly weather, I was out there today wrapped in Hope.
Nice and cozy I was too.
Thank you, Janine.
Be well and safe.
Best Wishes...