". Arranged Words: Watercolour

8 Feb 2022

Watercolour

Hi everyone,

Happy February! 

The days grow longer, and we are slowly coasting ever closer to spring. In the true north, after a long cold siege, I think the whole population looks forward to spring. But winter does have its charms, and it works out to be an excellent time to recharge one's batteries. In the long, dark evenings there's time to reflect, paint, knit, draw, and curl up with a good book. Years ago, the native people wisely used the time for spiritual renewal, storytelling, and art.  

Speaking of art…

                              Watercolour paint by Jane Davenport. Small leaf card to the top right                     painted with Winsor and Newton watercolours.
                                                   
 The metal tin to the right has been painted with watercolour too. To prepare the tin I sanded the surface with sandpaper; unfortunately, I only had a very rough sandpaper on hand, so the surface is a little too rough. Then I used Daniel Smith's transparent watercolour ground --2 coats applied 24 hours apart. It seems strange to paint on metal and the paint pooled a bit, and it was difficult to lay the paint down smoothly, but nevertheless I enjoyed the process. (The paint lifts easily too.)  

(Clear glass Christmas ornaments would be fun to paint on as well. Next year, perhaps.)

         
                    Materials: Fabriano Artistico mold made watercolour paper. (I wish they still made it.) Watercolour, Micron ink pen, and I also used a Jelly Roll white pen. Watercolour is fun to play around with it. It moves in its own direction.


                     For some texture, I dropped salt and alcohol into the wet watercolour. 


Watercolour bookmarks 


Left:  The wildflower Bloodroot card available in my Etsy shop.

And a recent sketchbook watercolour painting.


The painting to the left is gouache on illustration board. I will try it again on watercolour paper.

 I hope you all have a lovely week.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Cultivate Your Dreams

                                            Linking to Link Parties via my link party page. 

The parties cover most of the globe; there’s much to see and admire, so do stop in for a few visits. 

                                                         Special thanks to the hosts.



20 comments:

NCSue said...

I'm jealous of your talent! Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/02/alter-egos.html

Kim said...

You have been whiling away your wintry days with lovely watercolours, Dixie. I like the sound of Christmas ornaments covered in your art. Those book marks are pretty. Enjoy your February. Soon Spring will be visiting your shores.

Peabea Scribbles said...

So beautiful. I admire those who can paint. So true on Winter days. Summer comes and seems more hustle bustle times. The Winter slow down has its advantages, true.

Tom said...

...your paintings are gorgeous. The Bloodroot is my favorite, I have some in my garden.

Shiju Sugunan said...

The paintings are marvellous. I especially like the bookmarks.

Amila said...

These paintings are beautiful..

Irma said...

The paintings are beautiful.
I especially like the bookmarks.
Greetings Irma

Granny Annie said...

I am struggling to work with watercolor pens and you certainly have inspired me to keep trying.

By EAGHL
http://trigra.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Beautiful work this week!

DVArtist said...

These are really beautiful.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Beautifully painted, those JD watercolours are very handy palettes.
Happy PPF Tracey x

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Lovely paintings.

Linda Kunsman said...

Beautiful watercolor illustrations. I love the brightly colored leaf sprig at the top right. Happy PPF and happy Valentine's day Monday!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous art, love it all! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Suzana said...

So beautiful paintings! And I like how you explain the techniques.
Thank you, Dixie!
Have an inspired February!

carol l mckenna said...

Your watercolor creations are divine ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of laughter in your day,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

betty-NZ said...

Your work is always so colorful and interesting to see.

Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

Sharon Wagner said...

Very pretty! I'm working on a book cover so doing a little art myself.

Jeanie said...

These are all lovely! I've been playing with salt and bookmarks, small pieces, trying to get back into the groove after a little too long away. Your backgrounds are such beautiful bleeds -- I love them all.

Kinga K. said...

Fantastic ❤